German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, so I noticed today when I took my dog Max outside his urine appeared darker than usual. It seems he can only urinate a little bit. I kept an eye on it today and I for sure just saw blood. He has an appointment tomorrow morning to be neutered but I’m not sure if I need to take him the emergency vet right now or let the vet know tomorrow morning. My husband and I took Max hiking last Sunday and Max played in the water. He is up to date on his vaccines and on his heartworm medication and flea/tick. He always has water and I haven’t changed his food. What do I need to do? :crying:
***UPDATE***
I just called the emergency vet and they told me that I can still take him to his appointment tomorrow and at drop off, to just let them know about it and they will give Max the proper remedies like antibiotics. (Sigh of relief).

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Please let us know how it goes...

I know how scary something like that can be, as I'm sure many here do! Glad to hear that the e-vet didn't think it was a "rush him in now" kind of thing!

Reactions: BrandiG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just dropped him off at the vet and I almost balled my eyes out lol. I made sure I told the receptionist that Max had blood in his urine and I wrote it on Max history paperwork. I will definitely keep y’all posted. Please send warm thoughts and prayers for Max to have a speedy recovery. Thanks y’all!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I just dropped him off at the vet and I almost balled my eyes out lol. I made sure I told the receptionist that Max had blood in his urine and I wrote it on Max history paperwork. I will definitely keep y’all posted. Please send warm thoughts and prayers for Max to have a speedy recovery. Thanks y’all!
How old is Max?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Max is back home from the vet. He’s a little loopy and groaning but he seems to be doing well. When I went to the vet, I asked the receptionist about the blood in his urine and the lady said the doctor didn’t see anything. So basically nothing was done about that. They gave me some pain medication and that was it. We get home and I let Max potty before going in and he did urinate a lot but his urine still looks really dark and brown. I don’t know what to do now. The vet didn’t even give me antibiotics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Did the vet check for myoglobin in the urine? https://wagwalking.com/condition/hemoglobin-and-myoglobin-in-urine He would probably have to be pretty sick for that. Although in horses they get myoglobin dark urine from muscle damage from climbing steep hills when not in condition. The urine is brown, the muscles cramp. Its called tying up. Could he have had some hard exercise?
Could also be from (from the article)

Bacterial infections (Streptococcus, Staphylococcal)
Genetics (rare)
Hemolytic uremic syndrome (E. coli bacteria infection)
Idiopathic (unknown cause)
Kidney infection (pyelonephritis)
Kidney tumor
Vigorous exercise (damages the lining of the bladder, causing blood in the urine)
Toxins (snake venom, poisonous plants, acetaminophen, mercury, and copper)
Trauma (severe injury, burns, or electric shocks)
Urinary cancer
Viral infections

Read more at: https://wagwalking.com/condition/hemoglobin-and-myoglobin-in-urine

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Did you talk with the Vet directly when you picked him up? If not I'd definitely be getting him/her on the phone to find out exactly what they did look at or what tests were done! Poor Max! Get well soon!

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
If they didn't see anything in the urine in-house, if they did a big enough urine draw, they can send what's left out to the reference lab for more comprehensive analysis (and culturing, if needed). Was this your regular vet?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took Max to the local humane society to be neutered but I never got to see the vet. I think it is a good idea for me to call tomorrow and see what exactly they did to test Max’s urine but I’m also considering calling my vet first thing in the morning. Max hasn’t had any vomiting nor diarrhea nor any odd behavior.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I'd ask them to email you the results of the tests/analysis they did. Explain you don't want to double up on tests when you take him to your regular vet.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Yes, he needs to go to your real vet tomorrow if he's still peeing blood or having difficulty squeezing out urine.

Speuter clinics at Humane Societies usually don't have sophisticated diagnostics or time to do thorough exams. At least, that's how the speuter clinics are that I'm familiar with -- the ones I know don't actually have the machine for a urinalysis, so there's no "report." They probably just looked at a slide under the microscope and used a pH strip. Call them and check -- maybe they're a well-funded, wealthy facility with diagnostic equipment, but if they are, they'd be unusual.

Some of those shelter clinics are also staffed by vet students on rotation, if there's a vet school nearby. They're being supervised by a real vet, and it's how they get surgery experience. Diagnostic mistakes can definitely happen with students looking at a slide on a microscope.

Even if they don't have students doing exams and surgeries, the vets who run those clinics are rarely able to do the kind of careful detective work that a private practice vet can do hunting down what's going on.

·
Registered
15,997 Posts
OK I'm missing something here... What was the rush to neuter this fellow? Was there some reason to proceed when you spotted an apparent health concern? Why are you doing this anyway?

And frankly, try to have the $ to go to a vet instead of a low-cost all we do is render dogs and cats sterile outfit. Please. Care enough for your dog to do this especially for unnecessary things like sterilization.

I'd be angry as heck at 1. the e-vet for this advise 2. the clinic for their lack of follow through 3. myself for choosing this option

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
OK I'm missing something here...

I'd be angry as heck at 1. the e-vet for this advise 2. the clinic for their lack of follow through 3. myself for choosing this option
That you're angry as heck is obvious, why you're choosing to take that out on the OP, less so...the neutering was already scheduled before this came up. Have a little heart man, Cheers!

·
Registered
15,997 Posts
That you're angry as heck is obvious, why you're choosing to take that out on the OP, less so...the neutering was already scheduled before this came up. Have a little heart man, Cheers!

Let's be clear about this --- It is NOT MY DOG. If it were my dog and I faced those circumstances I would be angry as heck. as stated.- first at the evet, second at the clinic and thirdly at myself. Do you want to clarify exactly how this might be perceived ast "taking it out on the OP"? rather than posting for consideration of others facing a similar situation?

So the neutering was already scheduled. So what? Things come up, schedules can be changed -- especially when it involves a health concern that surfaces shortly before a scheduled far from mandatory, far from emergency, far from critical surgery. Changing plans may be "inconvenient" in the short term but short term inconvenience is not always the worst thing.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Let's be clear about this --- It is NOT MY DOG. If it were my dog and I faced those circumstances I would be angry as heck. as stated.- first at the evet, second at the clinic and thirdly at myself. Do you want to clarify exactly how this might be perceived ast "taking it out on the OP"? rather than posting for consideration of others facing a similar situation?

So the neutering was already scheduled. So what? Things come up, schedules can be changed -- especially when it involves a health concern that surfaces shortly before a scheduled far from mandatory, far from emergency, far from critical surgery. Changing plans may be "inconvenient" in the short term but short term inconvenience is not always the worst thing.
Sure. First, you posted your thoughts as if it were your dog. No problem there, except that you are posting on the OP's thread...And yes, they may take that personally! Second, Speutering is sort of an individual decision. You obviously don't agree with the OP's decision to Neuter at that age, based on your comments, and that's cool, I personally agree. But as you yelled, it's neither your dog nor mine! Still you posted in the OP's thread, so presumably you are addressing them directly, and rather harshly from my perspective. Saving money by doing a Speuter at the local humane society is not a bad thing! That the OP cares a great deal about his or her dog is also quite obvious, so I just thought, and still do, that maybe it would be good to tone it down a notch >:)

As of right now, the dog seems fine...I personally hope it stays that way, but the OP IS WATCHING CLOSELY!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took Max to our vet first thing this morning and they got a sample of his urine which was very dark. Our vet confirmed that he did have blood in his urine and that Max has a lot of red and white blood cells. The vet wasn’t really sure what was going on because that is the only symptom that Max has. My vet prescribed antibiotics and if that doesn’t help by Monday then I will take Max back to the vet for further testing. The vet said Max may have a UTI or it could be a bladder or kidney infection or a blood disease. Im hoping these antibiotics will cure Max and that it doesn’t end up being worse but again Max isn’t showing any other symptoms. I didn’t call the Humane Society because they didn’t open until the afternoon and I wasn’t waiting to take Max to the vet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts