German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a little bit of blood in Gunner's stool and wondered if anyone has any ideas as to the possible cause.

It's only a tiny bit, it's brighter red and the rest of his stool looks completely normal (not that dark, tarry kind of thing) and it doesn't seem to happen every time. He seems perfectly fine other than this - he's playful, his appetite is fine and he's drinking water normally.
I first noticed it yesterday evening and since the vet's office was already closed and he seemed okay otherwise, I figured I'd call this morning. Well, when he went out to do his thing this morning, it was normal. No blood. I decided to let it go for now and see what happens. Then, just about ten minutes ago, I noticed it again.
The only difference in his habits or routines has been that he's getting a bit more exercise, with the warmer weather lately. In our yard, though. He hasn't been out and about.

I'm going to make an appointment for him first thing in the morning. (Today, my vet's office closed an hour ago. Argh!) I just wanted to see if anybody has any ideas about what could be causing it. I'm scared to death and I guess I want to know if it might not be serious, or if I should steel myself for bad news.
He's five years old, if that tells anyone anything.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Just had this problem!! I only noticed it because she went on snow, and as I picked it up I saw the blood.

I dropped the stool off at the vets the next morning, and nothing!! Took her in for a check up, and nothing!!

Vet had no idea as everything else was fine with her, energy, food and water intake...put her on some anti-inflammatory just in case it was an inflamed colon..She has not had this problem since...

My neighbors must think I'm nuts, I'm always examining my dogs poop in the yard!!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Just an FYI, my vet did say that some parasites can cause this. So when you bring him in, take a stool sample with you.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally Posted By: ThreeDogsJust had this problem!! I only noticed it because she went on snow, and as I picked it up I saw the blood.

I dropped the stool off at the vets the next morning, and nothing!! Took her in for a check up, and nothing!!

Vet had no idea as everything else was fine with her, energy, food and water intake...put her on some anti-inflammatory just in case it was an inflamed colon..She has not had this problem since...

My neighbors must think I'm nuts, I'm always examining my dogs poop in the yard!!
I'm glad yours turned out to be nothing!
It's scary. I'm automatically thinking 'bleeding disorders' or something. I know I'm getting ahead of myself and shouldn't do that until I see the vet, but it's pretty hard not to! I'm a real worrywart when it comes to my boys.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hookworms can cause this but if your dog takes monthly heartworm it should prevent hookworms too! I had a rescue onnce with hookworms and blood in the poop was how I found out he had hookworms!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine was on Revolution and still got hookworms. Blood in the stools. She also had an overgrowth of bad bacteria. A worming and some antibiotics and she is good as new.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Originally Posted By: Lilly`s MomMine was on Revolution and still got hookworms. Blood in the stools. She also had an overgrowth of bad bacteria. A worming and some antibiotics and she is good as new.
Well, in therory it's supposed to control it! lol- actually we did have to retreat our dog for hookworms even after he was on heartguard- which the vet said was impossible but he had a really nasty case of it when we rescued him that was hard to get rid of!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, he's on Interceptor, which is "supposed" to protect against hookworms, too.
I've (thankfully) never had to deal with a bout of hookworms. Is it possible for them to be picked-up in their own yard? Gunner hasn't been out and about, or around other dogs, for quite some time. He's not exactly a social butterfly and prefers to get his exercise by running in the backyard.

He has an appointment with the vet Saturday morning. I was hoping to get him in sooner, but that's the first available appointment. I spoke with one of the techs and she didn't see any harm in waiting until then. ??

Also, he's gone three more times since I originally posted about this and, nothing. No blood. Is that a good sign, or does it really not mean much?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Many of the HW meds are Ivomec based which does not kill hooks - only Safeguard does and it's a 3 day treatment. So said my vet last month. There's a granule safeguard, a liquid or he said larger dogs can use the horse paste at double the dose on the weight syringe. He said that's the only thing that gets hookworms and whipworms. Ivomec does not.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Spots of bright red blood *usually* isn't an incredibly serious sign . It's usually coming from the lower intestines (as mentioned, could be inflammation, parasites like worms, giardia that hasn't gotten too bad yet, or similar). I'd still get him in as soon as possible.

On the list of all the things that can go wrong with my dogs that keep me up at night (The list is actually a 72-volume book), small bright red "spots" of blood doesn't do it. But yes, he should go in, because whatever is causing this slight bleeding could cause more serious bleeding if not treated sooner rather than later.

Does that help?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally Posted By: 3K9MomSpots of bright red blood *usually* isn't an incredibly serious sign . It's usually coming from the lower intestines (as mentioned, could be inflammation, parasites like worms, giardia that hasn't gotten too bad yet, or similar). I'd still get him in as soon as possible.

On the list of all the things that can go wrong with my dogs that keep me up at night (The list is actually a 72-volume book), small bright red "spots" of blood doesn't do it. But yes, he should go in, because whatever is causing this slight bleeding could cause more serious bleeding if not treated sooner rather than later.

Does that help?
LOL. Yes, it does help. Thank you. I know I worry way too much - I just can't help it. (I can relate to the 72-volume book!) I think it has a lot to do with us just losing Cooper, suddenly, not quite a year ago. It's made me rather paranoid.

And thank you, JanH. That's good to know about the HW medications.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts