German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,

I am at a bit of a loss at the moment and am unable to get to my vets until later due to my children having a virus and being sick quite allot.

My dog, Toby ( 11 months old) managed to eat a cooked lamb bone on Saturday! He has sneakily got one before without any issues. This time he has had blood in his poops, some of them are hard, but most are soft, they all contain a layer of bloody over them like a film. I have just noticed a pale cream weep coming from tip of his penis too. He is sleeping more than usual. He is eating and drinking fine and not off his food as far as i can tell.

He is currently finishing off a course of anti biotics and steroids to help him get over a diagnosis of fox mange. The symptoms of this seem to have cleared up.

Should i be really worried and get to the vets asap?

Thanks in advance
Gaz

·
Registered
10,835 Posts
The greenish discharge from the sheath is normal, especially for intact dogs. The other condition needs vet care asap. Could possibly damage from the bone or something else. if the blood comes from the deep intestinal track, it is black. Red blood comes from the last track, like the colon. Don't wait for the forum, go to the vet.

·
Registered
16,035 Posts
As Wolfy says:
Go to the vet.
to answer your question further - Now! yes this is important.

There's a chance it may be an infected anal gland which alone needs to be taken care of quickly but the larger concern is if it is truly blood from the intestinal track caused by a bone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Just thought i would let you know that the vet did check him over on the day i posted this and was satisfied there was nothing too serious going on.

He theorized it was aggravation of the rear passage and that it would heal all on its own (with the help of yet more anti biotics and a paste which stiffens up the stools).

well it did heal up and he has since had another check up and given the all clear on his health. Thankyou all for your replies. You may close or delete this thread now.

Cheers
Gaz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts