German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted a 7 month old rescue GSD. She was left outside and never house broken. I had her foronly 2 days and she has pooped in my house a total of 7 times. I crate her and take her out every 2 hours. The last mess I cleaned up I saw red in the stool, it was runny. Could that be blood?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Yes, most likely from straining or irritation to the intestinal tract.

I assume she's already been to the vet but if not I'd be in there tomorrow with a stool sample...could be parasites, giardia or any number of other things.

You should be withholding food until the diarrhea stops and then should give her overcooked rice (cook with twice as much water for twice as long), chicken and a little canned plain pumpkin.

Also, slippery elm (an herb that you can make into a slurry) is a good one both for stopping diarrhea and helping to heal the intestinal tract. Once the diarrhea stops I'd also want to put her on a good probiotic.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last time I made a rice dinner for my GSD he got bloat. I am a little scared to make rice for my pets.

I love this new puppy so much, I am just so frustrated with her pooping all over my house and now I find blood in her stool. I assumed the rescue people had her checked out for everything

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I agree with Ruth. You can always contact the rescue folks, but it's easy to miss things in fecals, depending on what stage the buggers are in.

If you are nervous about rice, you can use meat and green beans.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Also I assume you've probably just switched her food right? That can be the culprit right there. And rice does not cause bloat as long as you don't exercise right before or after a meal- bloat seems to just happen:(

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Rice does not cause bloat but you can also use overcooked oatmeal if you prefer. Don't feed anything though until the diarrhea stops. And be sure she's getting plenty of water!

I would definitely take her into the vet and have her checked out. It's worth testing for parvo too. You can't be too careful with a young pup!

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
I recently adopted a 7 month old rescue GSD. She was left outside and never house broken. I had her foronly 2 days and she has pooped in my house a total of 7 times. I crate her and take her out every 2 hours. The last mess I cleaned up I saw red in the stool, it was runny. Could that be blood?
What dog food are you feeding?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am feeding her Blue large breed puppy food.

As for history, I think she has been in a foster home for maybe a month. Looks like they had her spayed and gave her all her vaccinations.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I'm curious if she had any of these issues in the foster home, and what they were feeding her. Seems odd if she would be fine if they had her for a month, and then suddenly have a problem.

Have you called them?

A vet check certainly is in order, to rule out something like Parvo, parasites, etc.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Foster homes typically know the dog well, and should be able to give some information, I would think - perhaps I am wrong - there are so many different types of rescues out there and circumstances. I know she traveled a long way.

Either way, I think she needs to be checked out.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
What does her vet paperwork say? You should have gotten copies of all of her vet records: vaccine dates, deworming, etc.

This could all be from a food change combined with stress but it's really worth a vet visit just to be sure it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took her to the vets tooday. He loved her and was surprised she was a rescue dog, he said he would have taken her if he saw her.

He said he didn't think she had anything but took a stool sample anyway, also tested for heart worm and said we would retest in 6 months. He also prescribed some powder to mix in her food, said it would kill most parasites except for a few but tests will show if she needs something else.

He said her lymp nodes were just a tiny bit bigger than normal in her back legs but he said he is not real worried about it right now, could be due to many things.

She is off food for 24 hours, only water and then we will start on a rice and chicken diet and add in hard kibble.

She got microchipped and tonight she is napping on our bed with the kids watching toy story. So all is well so far.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Glad you got good news. They sure can worry us at times can't they.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts