German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
so on Monday my dog Lotus(he's 4.5mo old) was itching his back and sides for about two-three minutes which is longer than what he normally itches for. After that he stopped itching all together until today I found blood on his bed all of a sudden. I did a flea check yesterday. I brushed him with a metal brush and removed some debris left in the brush on a white wet paper towel. They didn't turn into a red colour so I assumed he didn't have fleas.

I found a red bloody mark on his back. He wouldn't stand still long enough for me to see it clearly but it was quite fresh. It seemed to be very painful because when I was trying to move the fur to see it he kept crying and squirming. The best I could describe it is... that it's very small, less than a centimeter in diameter. I think he bit himself there. There were flakes of skin around the injury.

He also has flaky dark browned color scabs on his belly, which is around 1cm in diameter. He's got 2 of those.

I've inspected his stomach before and I haven't seen these until TODAY. I think the breeder was sketchy. He was last of the liter but he's my little baby. I'm on a budget and I would like to know what needs to be done or what could be wrong with him. I searched the internet and it says numerous amount of things.

Our local vet is very unreliable and a bunch of scammers. I would like to know this is very serious before considering to drive 30+ mins via taxi. We do not own a car.

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
Possibly a food issue? But, like you said, could be a number of things. Have you applied a topical flea/tick product lately?
If you tell me what state you are in I'll post some holistic vets for you. :)

·
Registered
31,796 Posts
Does he scratch often? Was this intense scratching a sudden onset? Was he outside shortly before that he could have gotten into a nest of insects like ants?

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I am curious as to if/what you have used as heartworm/flea prevention -- vet scripted? pet store product (like sentry or other).

These spot-on treatments have been known to cause serious adverse reactions and including burning the skin - the inert ingredients (which are not listed) purpose is to spread along the skin so a reaction can happen anywhere.

4.5 months - just had a rabies vaccine? Were any others done at same time?

You need to boost the immune system with good nutrition (real food - not processed) as well look into a natural defence against offending parasites (NOT permethrin - toxic) like cedarcide or wondercide (brands), peppermint, neem, diatamcious earth (food grade)

In the interim - if you have raw, cold pressed, organic coconut oil then apply that to any sores (and brown spots - may be from licking, licking do to yeast issue, yeast do to defect in immune system, immune system defect do to toxin overload and vaccines and age)...apply the CO after a good cleanse - do not use hydrogen peroxide

Someone should come along and suggest a good natural bath product you can use to assist externally.

Internally, I would suggest Bovine Colostrum by proper nutrition - immune system modulator - this brand is 40% immunoglobulin

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi everyone thanks for the prompt response. I took a picture.

He had some worms (the stupid vet didn't even mention where it was or anything) about 3 weeks ago. He threw up three of them to be exact and I called the vet. They said it would cost me $20 and when I got there they charged me $40! For some cheap wrapped pills. They told me to feed him 2 after 2 weeks so the last time he had the pills was on June 13th. They also forced us to give him vaccinations along with the pills (DHLPP).

The breeder gave us Purina Puppy Chow (which is a bad brand) and we phased him into some really expensive raw food kibble brand. He had some diarrhea after that so we switched him back which returned his poop to normal.

He doesn't itch often but that intense scratching was a one time thing. During the time I was working I turned around and found blood on his bed, so I searched his body and found a little bloody patch on his back. It seems to be painful but I think he itched it because there's some skin flakes around it.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
This is not uncommon and have seen these scabs a dozen or so times on the forum - all have the same thing in common - the pup is usually between 4 & 5 months old it is post vaccine series and rabies.

So don't worry you're not alone:)

As noted - treating from the inside out (Bovine Colostrum)

A probiotic to assist the GI tract with good bacteria to squeeze out bad bacteria and yeasts...the die-off from these microbes produce over 39 toxins and a young pups immune defence is not fully developed to deal with - these toxins are excreted through the skin.

Coconut oil kills yeasts and bacteria - a touch of organic apple cider vinegar (50/50 mix with water) and apply compresses and cleanse the area - will restore the skin PH so microbes cannot survive - the CO will moisturize and disable the yeast from proliferating.

Diet - no carbs, grains, sugars (carbs) these feed yeast.

Vetercyn is topical spray that also works

There is no mention of HW/flea topicals - do you use???

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi GatorBytes
Thanks for the response! So this isn't anything serious right?
We haven't gotten any flea treatment/prevention yet. We're trying to find a vet that give a single vile instead of 6. They're all from Hartz or some cheap end brand. I'm trying to find some FrontLine but no avail.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is not uncommon and have seen these scabs a dozen or so times on the forum - all have the same thing in common - the pup is usually between 4 & 5 months old it is post vaccine series and rabies.

So don't worry you're not alone:)

As noted - treating from the inside out (Bovine Colostrum)

A probiotic to assist the GI tract with good bacteria to squeeze out bad bacteria and yeasts...the die-off from these microbes produce over 39 toxins and a young pups immune defence is not fully developed to deal with - these toxins are excreted through the skin.

Coconut oil kills yeasts and bacteria - a touch of organic apple cider vinegar (50/50 mix with water) and apply compresses and cleanse the area - will restore the skin PH so microbes cannot survive - the CO will moisturize and disable the yeast from proliferating.

Diet - no carbs, grains, sugars (carbs) these feed yeast.

Vetercyn is topical spray that also works

There is no mention of HW/flea topicals - do you use???
Thanks so much! We were really freaking out because my roommate searched it up and somewhere said it might be a fatal bacterial infection or something x_x

We haven't been using anything for flea topicals yet. Our vet has been trying to sell us on Hartz, but we know for a FACT that that's a really terrible brand.
Any advice on flea shampoo brands that we can use?

One other thing, he normally doesn't pant or anything, but for the past two days or so(around the same time his skin thing showed up) he's been breathing more heavily than normal. Is this something else? Or is he just getting fatter or something? He's only just started to put on weight since he had worms a while ago....

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
For fleas you can simply use neem oil(get it online or in a gardening shop) in a base of aloe vera gel or olive oil, or any other oil. You can also put it into any shampoo you have. You won't get fleas or ticks if neem is applied to the dog regularly.

It is anti bacterial so will help with any skin inflammation or infection.

Your dog may have hot spots too or a reaction from a flea bite or an allergy.

I would clean the area really well with a towel and some
warm soapy water. Scrub it good. With hot spots a scab forms with puss below it. I would just clean it every day and dab some rubbing alcohol or Iodine on it to keep it dry and disinfected. It should clear up soon. Sometimes people remove hair etc off it but I find it's better just to scrub it and leave the hair natural. Some will come off naturally if left un treated and there be tufts of hair stuck together with hot spot below

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For fleas you can simply use neem oil(get it online or in a gardening shop) in a base of aloe vera gel or olive oil, or any other oil. You can also put it into any shampoo you have. You won't get fleas or ticks if neem is applied to the dog regularly.

It is anti bacterial so will help with any skin inflammation or infection.

Your dog may have hot spots too or a reaction from a flea bite or an allergy.

I would clean the area really well with a towel and some
warm soapy water. Scrub it good. With hot spots a scab forms with puss below it. I would just clean it every day and dab some rubbing alcohol or Iodine on it to keep it dry and disinfected. It should clear up soon. Sometimes people remove hair etc off it but I find it's better just to scrub it and leave the hair natural. Some will come off naturally if left un treated and there be tufts of hair stuck together with hot spot below
How long will it take for the skin stuff to completely go away?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's been two weeks now and the scabbing has spread to his front legs and underarms as well as bigger, more prominent scabs under his belly. They don't cause any irritation to him and I don't think he even notices they're there. Should I be worried? :confused::confused:

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Can you post some pics - this does not sound good. May be demodex mange or could auto-immune alopecia (hair loss - auto-immune may never come back)

Did you use spot-on stuff for flea and tick?

If so stop

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
Hi GatorBytes
Thanks for the response! So this isn't anything serious right?
We haven't gotten any flea treatment/prevention yet. We're trying to find a vet that give a single vile instead of 6. They're all from Hartz or some cheap end brand. I'm trying to find some FrontLine but no avail.
Have you tried the suggestions from Gator?
If she were mine, I would definitely not put any chemicals on her like the frontline.
If you'd be interested in homeopathic and herbal detox's for her, you can pm me anytime. I can also give you a list of holistic vets in your state who would gladly give 1 shot instead of multiples and titer her. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Can you post some pics - this does not sound good. May be demodex mange or could auto-immune alopecia (hair loss - auto-immune may never come back)

Did you use spot-on stuff for flea and tick?

If so stop
We still haven't been using anything for fleas/ticks. He doesn't itch much so we didn't think that it could be anything like that.

Could it really be demodex mange?? I've been looking it up and it says that it starts out with hair loss/thinning around the eyes and mouth and then moves to the legs and feet. He hasn't lost any hair at all, we can just see marks underneath the fur, since it's white.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts