German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 13 week old puppy may have ingested a stone yesterday and he is not acting normal.

I can't be sure he ingested it but it was in his mouth and I didn't see him drop it. He is acting like his stomach hurts, but he is eating and drinking normally. He is peeing and has pooped twice, so I didn't think obstruction. He isn't playing with the other two dogs, though and whimpers now and then.

We are two hours from the emergency animal hospital and it is Saturday afternoon, so my vet won't be available until Monday.

Can anyone tell me the sign/symptoms of blockages or if they had a dog swallow something and had similar experience, what that was and what the result was?

I intend to call the vet first thing Monday morning but I hope there is something I can do for him in the meantime. Certainly if it is life threatening, I will get him to the emergency clinic ASAP, but I can't tell.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Stupid puppies! Mine did the same thing at about 10 weeks old. His rock was about 3/4 to an inch. I brought him to the ER, they took xray and said it is in the intestine. At that point they said wait and see. I brought him to my own vet the next day and they found it in his colon. With a few enema the stone came out. Depending on how large your stone is, he may be fine. The concern for me is that he is not acting normal. That could be because the stone is making its way through his intestine and causing pain.

If it were me, I would be going to the vet in this situation. More than likely they will tell you to take a wait and see approach. If the stone is large and stuck in the stomach, they could induce vomiting and get it that way. Or go in there with a scope and get it out. Or operate. Operation on the stomach is preferred by my vet over the intestine.

When in doubt...I head to the vet. I would rather feel silly being there, then feeling terrible for not going. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stupid puppies! Mine did the same thing at about 10 weeks old. His rock was about 3/4 to an inch. I brought him to the ER, they took xray and said it is in the intestine. At that point they said wait and see. I brought him to my own vet the next day and they found it in his colon. With a few enema the stone came out. Depending on how large your stone is, he may be fine. The concern for me is that he is not acting normal. That could be because the stone is making its way through his intestine and causing pain.

If it were me, I would be going to the vet in this situation. More than likely they will tell you to take a wait and see approach. If the stone is large and stuck in the stomach, they could induce vomiting and get it that way. Or go in there with a scope and get it out. Or operate. Operation on the stomach is preferred by my vet over the intestine.

When in doubt...I head to the vet. I would rather feel silly being there, then feeling terrible for not going. Keep us posted.
Thank you. I will be going to the vet, first thing Monday. I just was on the fence about taking him into the emergency clinic 2 hours away from us... I thought since he pooped he might be just trying to pass it and it will be a matter of time. I have no problem appearing stupid for my pet's benefit.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Thank you. I will be going to the vet, first thing Monday. I just was on the fence about taking him into the emergency clinic 2 hours away from us... I thought since he pooped he might be just trying to pass it and it will be a matter of time. I have no problem appearing stupid for my pet's benefit.
After my incident, I ended up buying health insurance for him. Good thing I did, I have probably been reimbursed 7-8k over 4 years.

Like I said, I probably would be heading to the vet/ER now. But that is a personal choice, I happen to be very risk averse when it comes to my boy. Thankfully he is out of the eating crazy things (I hope). The last thing he ate was a small decorative pumpkin cloth thing. Went to the my own vet the same day. They induced vomiting and he got it all out. Vet said he probably would have passed it..."probably" not good enough for me. The one before that was several CD's when he was 9 months old. That was fun. Also went to the ER immediately. Both of these incidents I could have stayed home and he would have likely been fine.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I know a corgi owner who lost a dog to pica disorder (ate sharp plastic from a plant pot). Prior to that, he ate a number of stones and other foreign objects. Some of them he was able to pass on his own, but IIRC, he needed surgery twice. I have left a message on her FB page, and will get back to you. And yes, she did everything she could to prevent him from eating stuff... :'(

I also found this when I googled: https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/11016217-best-way-to-prevent-surgery-when-your-dog-eats-an-undigestible-object Canned pumpkin is a good substitute for pureed squash, as it's pretty much the same thing. DO NOT buy the pie filling, though!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
DO NOT rush the dog to surgery, unless the vet says it's absolutely necessary. I also know another dog owner whose dog was showing signs of obstruction, and an x-ray cofirmed the diagnosis.

They opened him up and found...NOTHING! He had vomited the object up just prior to the surgery, and hidden it under his bedding!!

The object can sometimes be removed by endoscopy instead of surgery, unless it has passed into the bowel.

Okay here is her advice:

A big glob of petroleum jelly every hour, and water. It will lubricate the intestinal tract and should help the rock to pass. It will give him/her diarrhea, but that's preferable to surgery! However, someone should take the dog out on-lead in order to witness if the rock passes. The dog will not like the petroleum jelly--stuff it down his throat, hold his mouth closed, and rub his neck until he has to swallow. Oh--and it's messy! �� I ended up using my fingers rather than utensils.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know a corgi owner who lost a dog to pica disorder (ate sharp plastic from a plant pot). Prior to that, he ate a number of stones and other foreign objects. Some of them he was able to pass on his own, but IIRC, he needed surgery twice. I have left a message on her FB page, and will get back to you. And yes, she did everything she could to prevent him from eating stuff... :'(

I also found this when I googled: https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/11016217-best-way-to-prevent-surgery-when-your-dog-eats-an-undigestible-object Canned pumpkin is a good substitute for pureed squash, as it's pretty much the same thing. DO NOT buy the pie filling, though!
Thanks for the link. The article is very informative. I look forward to what your friend says.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
One symptom of blockage is runs. If you feed the dog Vaseline and it gets the runs, you don't know if it was the Vaseline or the blockage. My understanding is you want bulk building foods like pumpkin to envelop the object or protect the walls of the intestine from the sharp edges going through. Best bet is to call the ER and see what they say.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I think I'd go to the emergency vet too. Will your regular vet return a phone call on a weekend if you leave a message?

With a blockage, time is not on your side. The dogs who die of blockages often die because the owners waited too long to intervene.

Once it's in the intestine, if it doesn't pass, the intestine starts to die within hours (not days). For this reason, my thinking is that, if there's a wait-and-see if it passes decision, that decision needs to be made by a vet based on the imaging. Usually the vet keeps the dog in the clinic, taking a few xrays several hours apart to monitor progress. They can go straight into surgery if it's not going well.

A foreign body obstruction in your dog can potentially be a life-threatening condition

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
And in the case of my dog Russ you could end up with intussusception, where the intestine telescoped back inside itself. Lost about 3 inches in the surgery. They think he may have had a blockage that passed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I'd go to the emergency vet too. Will your regular vet return a phone call on a weekend if you leave a message?

With a blockage, time is not on your side. The dogs who die of blockages often die because the owners waited too long to intervene.

Once it's in the intestine, if it doesn't pass, the intestine starts to die within hours (not days). For this reason, my thinking is that, if there's a wait-and-see if it passes decision, that decision needs to be made by a vet based on the imaging. Usually the vet keeps the dog in the clinic, taking a few xrays several hours apart to monitor progress. They can go straight into surgery if it's not going well.

A foreign body obstruction in your dog can potentially be a life-threatening condition
Thank you Magwart. I don't know if the vet will return a call if we leave a message, as we haven't had to do that ever before.

Goliath is acting much better, playing with the other dogs and has pooped a second time today. He is eating and drinking just fine. I am going to call the vet and leave a message though as I would like his opinion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After a two hour drive to the pet ER and then another few hours waiting and another two hour drive home, I am happy to report that Goliath doesn't have a blockage... they also tested for internal parasites and parvo. (He has been wormed twice and gotten second shots.) ... Everything turned out normal... They gave him fluids (under the skin) and pain medicine. We will have to follow up with our vet tomorrow. Thank you all for your input.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
After a two hour drive to the pet ER and then another few hours waiting and another two hour drive home, I am happy to report that Goliath doesn't have a blockage... they also tested for internal parasites and parvo. (He has been wormed twice and gotten second shots.) ... Everything turned out normal... They gave him fluids (under the skin) and pain medicine. We will have to follow up with our vet tomorrow. Thank you all for your input.
Good news. Do you think he passed the rock or never ate it? At least you know for sure now that there isn't a blockage. Curious why they gave the pain meds, obviously something is still not right with the guy. Keep us posted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts