German Shepherds Forum banner

301 - 309 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
For those who haven't seen this thread in the archives discussing the correlative risk factors for bloat from the largest research studies to date, I recommend taking a look at it:
Bowl height and bloat

It may dispel some persistent Internet rumors about "cause" -- the things you've probably heard or read about why dogs bloat.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
My dog had surgery for bloat in 2018. He had done nothing different or unusual except eaten some leaves in the yard when I wasn’t paying attention, but they did not think that was the cause. Instead, he may have eaten foliage to try to relieve discomfort. The only risk factor was an ancestor who was known to throw progeny who bloated, Vito. That was suspected in other cases but never proven.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: Help needed with bloat

you also might want to consider a home made diet.
more digestable.
debbie
Lost 2 GSD's in a row to Bloat. Easy fix......Multiple small meals versus 1 or 2 large feedings.Or never leave a large full dish allowing you GSD to over eat.... Vet advice since no problems. Don't bother with surgery bloat is death.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bridget had bloat as a puppy. I gave her one of those bones from the pet store. She didn't eat her dinner and then I noticed that her shape had changed. I knew from reading about common problems that this was bloat. I can't remember rather it was an ultra sound or a x ray that helped us. We were able to see the bone and the kibble inside of her. I couldn't afford to keep her at the vet so I opted for home care against their recommendation. They gave me some drugs and this specialty liquid. The issue was she had to get water and this stuff on the hour every hour for 48 hrs. Took off work the next 3 days. I used an alarm to get me up in time and we somehow managed it. The next picture showed that it had moved pass the trouble spot so we were in the clear. On the 4th day she managed a giant poop. I think I got her to the vet just in time.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Bridget had bloat as a puppy. I gave her one of those bones from the pet store. She didn't eat her dinner and then I noticed that her shape had changed. I knew from reading about common problems that this was bloat. I can't remember rather it was an ultra sound or a x ray that helped us. We were able to see the bone and the kibble inside of her. I couldn't afford to keep her at the vet so I opted for home care against their recommendation. They gave me some drugs and this specialty liquid. The issue was she had to get water and this stuff on the hour every hour for 48 hrs. Took off work the next 3 days. I used an alarm to get me up in time and we somehow managed it. The next picture showed that it had moved pass the trouble spot so we were in the clear. On the 4th day she managed a giant poop. I think I got her to the vet just in time.
It was not bloat, it was indigestion. Real bloat will not go away without intervention.

·
Registered
85 Posts
They told me it was bloat. But this makes sense that it wasn't bloat. I got a genetic test on her and it said she never had it. They came to the last GSD trial I went to for volunteers for a bloat study. Supposedly they found a genetic test to see if your dog might get bloat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I make my shepherd rest/lay down 1 hour before feeding him and 1 hour after he eats. I feed a raw diet as well, and have been told feeding raw reduces chances of bloat by 25%. Kibble stays in the stomach too long which is sometimes the cause of bloat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My dog had a Gastropexy. We are feeding him hydrolyzed protein and Boiled chicken 3 times a day. My vet said that torsion if happened once, comes back if gastropexy is not performed. I hope everything stays well with your pooch

301 - 309 of 309 Posts