German Shepherds Forum banner

281 - 300 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Acute Bloat-Help
My Gsd had acute bloat last night. I figured it out rather quickly so I got him to the vet. They thought his stomach twisted bit after they inserted the tube it started to deflate slightly so they took another x-ray and confirmed it was acute bloat. Gave IV fluids and we took him home for 4 hrs. (Since he would have been left there alone). Took him back this morning when they opened for tube insertion and more fluids. They said all the gas was gone but we're still waiting for him pass the food that was still there.

I was thinking of taking him to CSU for a gastroplastie (I'm sure that spelled wrong.)

Your thoughts on this or advice would be appreciated.

I have pet plan insurance, does anyone know if this is covered or is it considered elective.
Doubtful on anything elective. What company do you have? To pull that off your vet would have to be on the same page and have it written up as a necessary operation.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Doubtful on anything elective. What company do you have? To pull that off your vet would have to be on the same page and have it written up as a necessary operation.
I had my vet call CSU, so hopefully that should do it. I have Pet Plan (Gopet). I have a hard time believing someone would just choose to do this to the pet.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I had my vet call CSU, so hopefully that should do it. I have Pet Plan (Gopet). I have a hard time believing someone would just choose to do this to the pet.

Lots of people just do that. For females they do it when they spay and the dog is out already.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
geez ...if this thread doesn't make me paranoid I don't know what thread would. I'm scared to death to even feed roxy or let her drink water at all
Same here - I've been making my coworker nuts with my out loud worrying about everything :eek:

My first GSD when I was a kid never had problems, but I also remember now that my dad would mix her dry kibble with both some wet food, and a can-ful of water. (I loved when I got to "prepare" her food, like a pup chef).

I don't use elevated bowls for Ruger, though I had some we had used for our BT before we moved. I was going to use them with him, but he was too short to reach them at the time, and managed to chew the plastic leg off it - maybe he was telling me something! I had thought they were the better option until reading more on here.

I've been trying to keep him calm after eating, and not going on our walk to the mailbox at the front of the neighborhood until about an hour after he eats his PM meal. No playing with the other animals or us until after that. In the AM he does get a little rowdy while we get his meal ready - when we get up, wants to say good morning to us & our other 2 dogs, lick my face, follow us everywhere, jump on the BT and try and get her to play ... he's 3 months old, and definitely full of puppy energy.

I'm debating on free feeding him after reading some doing that in here - he pretty much eats until he's full, then goes back and visits his bowl whenever he wants more now if there's some left. When he was on a bland diet of chicken & rice, he'd devour 2 cups in no time. The only downside of free feeding is that he's not fully house-trained yet, so food left out means more poop on the kitchen floor in his pen (and he has no problem pooping on himself in a crate!).

Trying to tell myself I can't worry sick over it - just need to do what I can, watch for the signs, and hope I never have to experience it. I'm thinking about the stomach tacking when he gets fixed, and have looked up some locations here that offer it so I can talk more in depth when we're ready.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I'm debating on free feeding him after reading some doing that in here - he pretty much eats until he's full, then goes back and visits his bowl whenever he wants more now if there's some left. When he was on a bland diet of chicken & rice, he'd devour 2 cups in no time. The only downside of free feeding is that he's not fully house-trained yet, so food left out means more poop on the kitchen floor in his pen (and he has no problem pooping on himself in a crate!).
I would never free-feed any of my dogs. After from free feeding my dogs in the past (couple years ago) they all got overweight, they just ate whenever they pleased which means they go to the bathroom at crazy time frames. So, now I just portion Chloe's meals twice a day. :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Bloat

My GSD had bloat and I got a gastroplasty done at CSU vet hospital. They were wonderful and he recovered fine.

PetPlan probably would have paid for it had I got a pre-authorization but I was so freaked out I forgot about that. Anyways, I think it was a great idea and would probably do it again just for prevention since it only takes once to loose your friend.

I just feel so much better knowing with a feeding schedule and other prevention measures he should be just fine.

I would definitely reinforce getting a gastroplasty if you can afford it as prevention totally opposite of what I thought before all this happened.:blush:

·
Registered
778 Posts
I found this video very informative but be careful before you click on it.

WARNING: It shows an Akita experiencing bloat while a narrator points out the signs of bloat in the dog. Apparently the person filming didn't know what was happening. When they realized that the dog was in trouble they took him to the emergency vet. He survived. Later, the narration was added and the video released as a PSA.

Let me be clear, I hate watching animals suffer. But seeing what bloat looks like first hand was important enough to me that I did watch it. The dog survives which also makes it watchable for me. You may disagree and I respect that fully.

Anyone who has has already suffered from a bloat experience probably should not watch it.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U1WrT2719yo

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I would never free-feed any of my dogs. After from free feeding my dogs in the past (couple years ago) they all got overweight, they just ate whenever they pleased which means they go to the bathroom at crazy time frames. So, now I just portion Chloe's meals twice a day. :)
Going to the bathroom at crazy times did cross my mind too - its already been pretty hard trying to house train him because he'll go to the bathroom when we're not home and/or random times when we're sleeping. I think I'll stick with 2x/day meal times.

The other 2 dogs have designated mealtimes also, may as well keep them all on the same schedule! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a purebred king shepherd, Im not sure but I think he is almost constantly in phase 1 bloat, it comes and goes rite? Because he will exhibit symptoms for about an hour maybe less then he is fine I think. Mostly it happens after I take him out to jog n run, he does drink alot when we come home but isnt he thirsty? I dont want my baby to be in pain but I dont want him dehydrated after playing either...this has happened alot, he pants whines and is restless during this time after playing and drinking. Is this serious?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Six days ago at night, Dingo, 10 months old GSD bloated. Had no car at the moment to take him to the vet. Didn't succeed with the tube. Pierced his stomach with a needle and immediately he looked more comfortable. Gained time till the taxi came to take him to a clinic.

Proved there was no torsion.

We ve scheduled surgerry to tack his stomach.

This whole thing is really ****in scary!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I feed my 14 Week GSD puppy 4 times a day. I let her chose the quantity i.e. if she finishes her meal in 10 minutes, then the next feed quantity is slightly increased, and vice versa.

Would this process also be considered as "Free Feeding" ?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I feed my 14 Week GSD puppy 4 times a day. I let her chose the quantity i.e. if she finishes her meal in 10 minutes, then the next feed quantity is slightly increased, and vice versa.

Would this process also be considered as "Free Feeding" ?
Be careful not to over feed...you don't want your shepherd to grow to fast. It is not good for there joints.

·
Registered
19 Posts
\My boy bloated on Mother's Day 2018 and I rushed him to the vet immediately and he underwent surgery (including a gastropexy) where I was told he was expected to make a full recovery, however after 2 weeks he is DEFINITELY NOT HIMSELF and I'm very worried.

He doesn't seem too interested in food and has lost 8 pounds.

Any advice on recovery from this would be appreciated since my searches on GDV post-op recovery returns nothing.

Thanks.

God Bless.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My smooth collie bloated (at age 11) and the recovery was agonizingly slow. Her recovery was complicated by her digestive system pretty much shutting down post surgery, and it took months to recover. I wouldn't panic by any means, because major abdominal surgery almost always has a long recovery time, but I would try to get him checked out by the vet as soon as possible after the holiday weekend. If he is showing other signs of distress beyond the lack of appetite, though, I would try to get him in to see the emergency vet if your vet doesn't have someone on call for the long weekend. Best wishes for a quick turnaround on his recovery!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I lost my shepard to bloat last month.The dog just turned 10 two days before.I have done much reading since with few real sure answers.The dog never ate much or fast and that day he had some food in the morning but none during the day.The evening came 5:00 then heate some grass and started throwing up all night until next morning to the vet he went.I saw the stomach swelled up and vet took exrays .The surgery was 3000-4000+ was the estimate with little known outcome so for the age and cost and outcome factors we did what was best.The other shepard was lost couple years early at age 12 no bloat problems but he ate fast and alot odd he had no bloat problems but had other health issures.I cant rap my head around the hole deal why the one did

·
Registered
868 Posts
I lost my shepard to bloat last month.The dog just turned 10 two days before.I have done much reading since with few real sure answers.The dog never ate much or fast and that day he had some food in the morning but none during the day.The evening came 5:00 then heate some grass and started throwing up all night until next morning to the vet he went.I saw the stomach swelled up and vet took exrays .The surgery was 3000-4000+ was the estimate with little known outcome so for the age and cost and outcome factors we did what was best.The other shepard was lost couple years early at age 12 no bloat problems but he ate fast and alot odd he had no bloat problems but had other health issures.I cant rap my head around the hole deal why the one did
IMO the best thing any owner can do is to learn the signs that the dog shows AFTER the stomach has twisted..the owner reacting quickly and getting to the vet is the most important thing....we've had 2 dogs with "bloat" one didn't make it through surgery and one did....both of these dogs were very slow-picky eaters...one of them always ate from a "raised" food bowl and yet their stomachs still twisted....there is a "elective surgery" that some vets offer where the stomach is attached to the walls inside the body so that it can't twist--usually done in conjunction with another surgery while the dog is under anesthesia any way......

281 - 300 of 309 Posts