German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are heartbroken our 7yr old GS Indie suffered from Bloat on the 15th February 2020 we rushed for emergency surgery at around midnight. They managed to operate and save her and quite surprisingly we where told to collect her a few hours later after surgery. we followed every precaution we where told by the vet and what we read, ie 3 meals a day instead of 2, do not let her gulp her water, eat and drink from a bowl on the floor, gentle exercise and build up slowly, we would not even let her roll on her back etc, everyone included the vet commented on how well she looked and how well she was doing she was nearly back to her old self pre Bloat, we also let her have gentle runs off the lead with no rushing around, then on 22nd June after my wife had taken Indie into the garden we started showing signs of bloat again, we phoned the vet to let them know we where bringing Indie in and we drove straight to the vets. after the vet had taken her in to sedate her and examine indie the Vet came out and said Indie was a very ill dog and what did we want to do, we told the vet to try, The vet telephoned a couple of hours later and told us Indie had Peritonitis as there was a hole in the lining surrounding her stomach and part of the stomach had got through the hole causing the Peritonitis and other serious problems ( I am sorry I do not know the correct terminology ) the vet asked us what we wanted to do and we agreed reluctantly that Indie should be put to sleep to save her from more suffering, the vet told us she thought we had made the correct decision, we are heartbroken and we miss her so much and we keep blaming ourselves that we did something wrong to cause this, we cannot get any clear answers why this happened, the second image I took approx 2hrs before Indie had to be rushed to the vets.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
There is no way that a perforation (hole) in the stomach could be related to the previous bloat. For one thing, too much time has passed. For a second thing, the reason bloat kills is the stomach twists and cuts off the circulation to the stomach and other nearby organs. That is not something that would cause a hole in the stomach.

A perforation in the stomach is either the result of the dog swallowing something sharp, or the dog developing a stomach ulcer that perforated. Is there anything the dog could have swallowed that might have caused this? A sharp stick, a toy, a bone maybe? A hole in the stomach would cause stomach contents (food and acid from the stomach) to leak into the abdominal cavity. This is what caused the infection, which is called peritonitis, after the peritoneal membrane that lines the abdomen.

Peritonitis can cause gas, swelling and severe pain, but it is not at all the same as bloat. So, don't beat yourself up - you did everything you could to prevent bloat from happening again, and that was not what was responsible for your dog having to be put to sleep.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Sorry you lost Indie. I know little about bloat, but know all to well the confusion, questions, and heartache sudden loss can bring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we are heartbroken our 7yr old GS Indie suffered from Bloat on the 15th February 2020 we rushed for emergency surgery at around midnight. They managed to operate and save her and quite surprisingly we where told to collect her a few hours later after surgery. we followed every precaution we where told by the vet and what we read, ie 3 meals a day instead of 2, do not let her gulp her water, eat and drink from a bowl on the floor, gentle exercise and build up slowly, we would not even let her roll on her back etc, everyone included the vet commented on how well she looked and how well she was doing she was nearly back to her old self pre Bloat, we also let her have gentle runs off the lead with no rushing around, then on 22nd June after my wife had taken Indie into the garden we started showing signs of bloat again, we phoned the vet to let them know we where bringing Indie in and we drove straight to the vets. after the vet had taken her in to sedate her and examine indie the Vet came out and said Indie was a very ill dog and what did we want to do, we told the vet to try, The vet telephoned a couple of hours later and told us Indie had Peritonitis as there was a hole in the lining surrounding her stomach and part of the stomach had got through the hole causing the Peritonitis and other serious problems ( I am sorry I do not know the correct terminology ) the vet asked us what we wanted to do and we agreed reluctantly that Indie should be put to sleep to save her from more suffering, the vet told us she thought we had made the correct decision, we are heartbroken and we miss her so much and we keep blaming ourselves that we did something wrong to cause this, we cannot get any clear answers why this happened, the second image I took approx 2hrs before Indie had to be rushed to the vets. View attachment 561290 View attachment 561291
Indie was not allowed sticks or sharp objects
There is no way that a perforation (hole) in the stomach could be related to the previous bloat. For one thing, too much time has passed. For a second thing, the reason bloat kills is the stomach twists and cuts off the circulation to the stomach and other nearby organs. That is not something that would cause a hole in the stomach.

A perforation in the stomach is either the result of the dog swallowing something sharp, or the dog developing a stomach ulcer that perforated. Is there anything the dog could have swallowed that might have caused this? A sharp stick, a toy, a bone maybe? A hole in the stomach would cause stomach contents (food and acid from the stomach) to leak into the abdominal cavity. This is what caused the infection, which is called peritonitis, after the peritoneal membrane that lines the abdomen.

Peritonitis can cause gas, swelling and severe pain, but it is not at all the same as bloat. So, don't beat yourself up - you did everything you could to prevent bloat from happening again, and that was not what was responsible for your dog having to be put to sleep.
Indie was not allowed sticks, or Bones in place of a stick she loved the Kong toy bone she is carrying in the photo, She had the odd treat but she always chewed them up properly we made sure of that, I might have not been clear on what the vet told us, she said the Peritoneum had split allowing part of the stomach to slip through, that eventually filled with fluid/food and ruptured, filling the Abdominal cavity with bile & debris from the stomach, because the tear in the lining had become infected causing Peritonitis. how could this have happened we where so careful with her after the Bloat in February.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Indie, I still don't see how the two things could be related. Did the vet say there was a connection?

Edit: okay, checking into this - your dog had surgery for the first time it bloated, and the vet likely would have tacked the stomach so it couldn't twist if the dog ever bloated again. But it is possible for the stomach to rupture when it it extremely bloated. And once a dog has bloated, it is at risk of bloating again.

I'm so sorry you had to go through this! She was a very pretty girl. 😢

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Sunsilver for your explanation I am most grateful, and thank you for your kind words, yes she was a very pretty girl.

·
Registered
138 Posts
R.I.P. Indie ...what a beautiful dog.

I'm no expert but from watching Dr. Pol, a RV vet, the bloat has no relationship to Peritonitis. Sorry about your loss I know exactly how you feel.

Don't second guess yourself it's not you it's just the way things worked out. You did everything correctly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts