German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in Kramer's tumorversary thread, but wanted to make sure people saw it in this section:

Did anyone read that article in the RD about the GSD with bloat/GDV?
http://www.rd.com/advice-and-know-how/veterinarian-dog-stories-/article75229.html

GET A KLEENEX-or a box. What a story. Very enlightening to know what happens from a surgeon's point of view. Glad this was not out before Kramer's surgery though!

I think the book might make a nice gift for a vet office.

G

·
0 Posts
A great story, Jean! Thanks for sharing it. This part above all certainly describes our breed:

Quote:For this complicated equation, I thought about the single most important component, the patient herself. When I focused on Sage, the way her eyes locked on mine and the warm greeting from her tail despite the agony, I thought, If ever a dog deserved a chance, this dog did. We humans would be ripping the arm off every nurse or doctor and screaming for morphine, yet this selfless creature had placed more importance on the simplicity of a connection with us than on the pain she felt.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Oh boy that made me cry! What a great story.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
That was a wonderful story Jean. Thanks for sharing it with us. I thought of Kramer many times as I read it, so glad he's ok.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Thanks so much for posting the link and the Kleenex warning. It makes me feel so fortunate that my three Hooligans who bloated/torsioned survived the emergency surgery. I always knew I was extremely lucky, but didn't know how lucky - Echo and JR lost their spleens, Kelly lost 1/3 of his stomach.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's every family member's worst nightmare: We always hope to hear 'Oh, we can fix this in a jiff!' and have it be true, but when everything is hanging by a thread and all they've got is hope - It's always the most terrifying time, even more so then being told 'It's over'. I'm so glad she was able to be saved, from the vet's account, she really was an amazing creature.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah-I had no idea either, Gayle. Like I said, glad I didn't know really!

I am glad people enjoyed it-such a good girl to wag her tail and be so strong.

Kramer, while not as sweet, showed his will to live by fighting the vet tooth (literally) and nail when we were trying to do the stomach tube. But it was enough for me to say go ahead with the surgery.

I bet that's a great book.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I'm sure HRH felt the procedure was beneath his dignity!!!

I ordered the book from Amazon. I also got a new flashlight for hunting Kelly when he gets lost in the back yard at night. My total was a tad over $25 so I qualified for their free shipping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts