German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, Rumo came in from backyard and he was hunched over and pacing from room to room like he was looking for a comfortable place but couldn't find one. He was also making weird low groans I had never heard. A couple of times, he made retching noises but nothing came out. Mouth hanging open, tongue hanging out, eyes glassy.

Due to posts I had read from this forum, my first worry was "Bloat??!" and I pressed on his sides. They felt hard. So we rushed him to the nearest emergency vet and they took him in right after we pulled into the parking lot.

Vet told us he had irregular heart rhythm, pale gums (shock). They worked to stabilize him. X-ray confirmed that his stomach had twisted. He went into surgery (1:30am!) - they didn't have to remove any of his stomach tissue, his spleen was ok, and they did the gastropexy (stomach attached to inner wall so it can't twist again). He is in recovery at the animal hospital now for probably 2-3 days.

If we had waited until morning to see our regular vet, he would have been a goner.
Thanks to all those posts about bloat that I idly read on here...thinking that it would never happen to us!

( By the way, he had a perfectly normal Monday...Leashed walk from 5-6, no more active than usual. Had dinner at 7 with a good appetite, no bigger than usual. Seemed comfortable and happy most of the evening. He eats two meals/day. So we have no idea what caused it...)

Anyway, sharing this (yet another post about bloat!) in case it helps somebody else.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Rumo is lucky that he has you! You saved his life bringing him to the vets right away. Having 2 dogs that bloated, one died, one survived only to our quick response (both were Great Danes) I know the symptoms but sometimes it literally happens out of nowhere.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Wow. So glad Rumo is OK! Bloat and hemangio scare me to death. Wish there was more definitive info on what causes it and what can prevent it....:-(

My nearest emergency vet is an hour away. And it seems bloat always happens in the evening!!!

Well, here's hoping for a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Bloat usually happens on Friday night or during the weekend when everyone is closed from my experience. We had the most horrible experience with the vets both times.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Glad your dog survived. Do you use a raised bowl or feel anything as you look back could have lead to this?

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
Wow!So glad you you didn't wait and followed your instincts. I'm glad he's going to be ok:)

·
Super Moderator
32,675 Posts
That is EXACTLY how it presented with Keefer. I’m so glad you were able to recognize the symptoms and get him in right away.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I’m so glad you were able save Rumo. It’s awful losing your dog to GDV. We lost Hunter even though I recognized it quickly. He was simply too old and with other issues to have the surgery. I hope you have lots of happy years together!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
So happy all ended well, and thanks for sharing and the reminder of the dreadful symptoms.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
I'm glad this worked out. Bloat is very sudden usually. For those of you an hour away from an emergency vet - well, even if you are closer - please consider having some simithicone (sp) on hand. That stuff works to help cut the gas.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all!! :)

So, Rumo is actually coming home this evening!
( Not for a good reason though...the first 1.5 days, he was apparently zoned out and they could do what they needed. Today, he has started growling and snapping at the poor vet techs who are changing his bandage, he will not eat or drink, and they can't get oral pain medication into him...typical Rumo. He must be feeling better...)

At home, he will be confined in my small office with his dogbed, and go on short leashed walks of 5-10 minutes, and I think I can get his meds into him with a little bribery.

As far as risk factors?
We've always been careful about exercise + eating, and he eats two healthy meals/day, but the only thing I can think of, is that he is one of the dogs who wolfs down his food.
So now I got him a slow feeder/puzzle bowl, and he'll have smaller, more frequent meals.
He's also older, and the risk of bloat goes up with age.
And of course, the breed (large dogs with narrow deep chests like Great Dane, GSD, akita, etc).

Anyway thanks everybody!
I am mentally bracing myself for "dog nurse" duties but so happy to be getting him back alive!!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh, and here is one of the funny/sad thoughts I had...

We just bought 200 poopy bags!
I hope he is around to use every single one of them!
(I wouldn't say it's going to be a blessing to pick up his poop, but I'll probably mind less than I did before 😁)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update on Post-GDV Surgery-
There were some scary ups and downs ( like the day he would not drink or eat because he felt nauseated) but life is slowly going back to normal. He is able to go on short walks, and is growing a white fuzz of fur over all of his shaved areas.

One odd and funny training thing that happened:
He has to keep his abdominal incision clean and dry for healing. So whenever he tried to lay down in various spots, we would say "Wait, wait!" and spread a bedsheet under him.
After 1 week of this, he was standing around in the bedroom uncertainly today...and he wouldn't lie down until my husband spread a bedsheet on the ground next to him!!!
Apparently he thinks that he can only lay on sheets? (I hope this does not last for the rest of his life....definitely would be a weird quirk for a dog to have...:LOL: )

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I am so glad to hear that you were able get him to the vet in time. We lost our Tessa just early last Thursday morning. She was a little restless but not to an extreme. I called the vet as soon as other symptoms in presented. It was all just too late. As with you completely normal day, never dreamed that was how our day would end.

Reactions: Jenny720

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh no, @ksotto333 !!!
That is devastating.
I'm so sorry to hear that! :-(((
It is so hard to lose them so suddenly...

That first night, I waited at the emergency vet hospital and my husband took the girls home (it was going to be a long wait while they stabilized him). I got home, and found everybody sitting in the living room and crying. I was like, "Have some hope! He's not gone yet!" Anyway it is such a heartbreaking thing and it will never be easy to let them go...

So sorry about your loss.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts