German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So depending on the light Ruger's coat can look either red or tan. What do you think?

The first pic looks like he is a black and red.

The other one not as much.

He is only a year old so that might have something to do with it. Dad was a red, mom was a tan.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Looks more tan to me. The reds are usually pretty red -

Berlin is a black/red, he is almost a year.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I can't decide. He looks very red to me in the first photo, but a little more tan in the second.
I agree. In person does your dog look more red? Or depending on the light/sun does he look more red?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Looks black and tan.... but, that may just be the pictures.

Here's my black and red compared to my black and tan:

In certain light though... I can make both of them look the opposite. So, it's hard to say by only pictures. The pictures I posted are true to how mine look in person (as close as it gets)... you can really see the red come out in the Black and Reds.... especially in the sun light.

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
Black and tan and black and red are all the same color, just the pigment is stronger in the black and red. I think the dog looks red. But again, cameras can tell another story.

I think in Germany they are all black and brown -- not sure about that though. The AKC allows two different colors, but a lot of people register their pup before the adult color comes through, and the breeder marks the coloring. At eight weeks the pup might look pretty red, and by 2 the dog might look tan. I haven't heard of the AKC suspending anyone for getting it wrong though, else I would be in trouble.

The long and the short of it is that it is a matter of opinion. Don't lose sleep over it.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Aiden looks like a patterned sable. JMHO
The OP's dog looks black and tan, some tans are a little darker than others.
One of my neighbors has a black and red and it's definitely red.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts