German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our sweet girl, Bleu, was diagnosed with pannus last week. Of course, I was devistated. She is only 2 years 8 months and has just started filling out and looking so healthy. And then this. But I have been reading a lot of the old threads on here and am much encouraged. Right now we are doing drops and ointment that seem common from what I am reading. She is such a sweety and is so patient about getting the medicine in her eyes. I will be diligent with her treatment and then maintence, so I'm sure we will have a happy ending, like many of you on here that I have read. Thanks for what you have already given me in peace of mind. I have attached a few pictures for those who might be looking for information in the future.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
My Sting has pannus also. And yes, it turned out very well for him. He didn't develop it until he was 5 and I was upset also. But it is only in one eye and that eye looked just like your Bleu's. And he does take his drops so well just like your Bleu. It is a chronic condition but it does get better. At first he had to have the drops 4x a day, then gradually the dose was decreased, until the maintenance dose for the lst year and a half of only 2 drops everyother day. His eye has really cleared up and his vision too. Now,he doesn't even need a special checkup -his eye is just checked with his annual check up. My vet said that it really depends if the dog will tolerate getting the drops. Wishing you the best with your Bleu!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My GSD that died last year also had Pannus. We lived in Florida at the time, and the opthalmologist told me that UV rays can increase the disease. I see you live in Georgia, so I thought you might want to keep that in mind. No long outside time during the hightest UV times. Of course, it's hot then, so the dog probably wouldn't be outside anyway! :) Good luck with your dog, the medicine will work great and you will be fine!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
My first dog, Massie, also had pannus and I lived in New Mexico at the time.

I know some people use sunglasses made for dogs called "Doggles."

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Scarlett has Pannus too. We live in SE VA and the UV is an issue in the summer months. I just wait to walk her until the evening or very early in the morning. We have been using Lacrimor drops very successfully. Cream cheese is the reward of choice for sitting still while we administer the drops.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Apache is 10-1/2 now. He was about the same age as your girl when he was diagnosed with Pannus. He's been on maintenance for several years with 1 drop cyclesporene and no progession or any vision loss. Since he's black and never sunbaths I don't worry about him and sunlight. I do take him out for walks early in the am before the sun is high in the sky.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for the replies and suggestions. I do worry about the UV rays and have read up on the "doggles". :) Luckily we have a full covered front porch that stays shady all day and we have about 40 tall pine trees on our property, so a large portion of the yard is shady, too. She usually stays outside while my husband and I are at work. She is wonderful in the house and I would trust her during the day, but I hope it doesn't get to that, because she loves being outside where she can keep the squirrels in check. She isn't a sun lover by any means, but we like to camp at the beach often during the summer and I would worry about her eyes then, so I will definitely get a pair for that. She is very calm and I think will tolerate them with a little encouragement. I appreciate everyone posting what medicine they are using so I can be educated when I talk with the vet. Thanks again and like I said, we are very optimistic and are just trying to address the problem, but focus on the good...there is certainly a lot of folks out there dealing with much bigger issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts