German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what age can you know whether your pup will be blanketed or saddled?
I have a 10 week old who I am really unsure about.
Dam is patterned sable with a clear saddle. Her “grand parents” were pattern sable and a Black and Tan. Great Grand dam is Black and Tan blanket, Great grand sire is black.

Her sire is a very heavily blanket, almost bi color. I don’t know his whole linage, but it appears a mix of blankets and saddled.

I am really crossing fingers than she will be saddled, but she was chosen on temperament, not looks. I suspect she will be blanketed ??*♀Siblings all similarly marked, some with darks masks, and two sables. She has a more Tan on her face markings and back of ears than her littermates.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
With the black in the back ground it IS possible your pup could be a blanket. Time will tell. Post some pictures and a pedigree if you can.

·
Registered
942 Posts
It's too hard to tell without full body pics of your actual puppy

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I'm going with saddle. My girl had way more black on her at 10 weeks and is a saddle. The heavy light cream across the chest and how high the tan is already on the legs says saddle to me. Take that with a grain of salt as I'm no expert.

·
Super Moderator
8,712 Posts
^ what she said!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thats a lot of tan on the majority of the lower legs for that age. Due to that, I would guess she will end up being a saddle B&T, maybe on the heavier side of saddle but still a saddle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your input! Do you think she will keep any of her mask? Or do you think it will all be tan except the part on her muzzle?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts