German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Asher, Black GSD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted not too long ago that my pup had giardia. I gave him the panacur. Added cinnamon; ginger; and slippery elm after that. Then did the kochi free. We plan to get a new fecal test in the next couple days. This is just background for my question.

He may or may not have giardia anymore. But regardless of that. . . He is not tolerating kibble. He didn't tolerate it much before the giardia either. When we got him he was on nulo but he had loose stools. We switched to purina pro plan large breed puppy sensitive skin and stomach and he did great. Then we got a new bag and he has had diarrhea since. But If I feed him a bland diet of turkey rice/oatmeal and pumpkin w/ a little added calcium his stools are perfect. He had perfect stools for over a week on strictly bland. I added a quarter cup of a new kibble Solid Gold wolf cub to try to transition him back over but in a few hours was back to diarrhea. Back to the bland and he is fine.
I called my vet and she thinks it's just the giardia and wants him to take another round of panacur adding metronzidole? I'm sure I misspelled that. I have read here that the metronzidole stuff just tears up thier gut. I'm obviously more holistic minded and am not a fan of meds unless absolutely necessary.

I will say. I'm very scared because our last german shepherd died at 1 year from supposed Gastroenteritis a month after taking the metronzidole. He had diarrhea from the start with us. Could not handle kibble. So I cooked him home cooked food. But it obviously didn't help. In addition All his fecals always came back fine. He was definitely a heart dog despite only a year. He was so beautiful.

Anyway. . . I'm at a loss. I did everything the vet told me to do with Finn (the one who died). We have a new vet but I'm skeptical of everything. I'm not a purina fan but am willing to put away my ideals if it makes Asher better. But even the purina has failed. The solid gold was a no go. The nulo a no go. Nutrisource a no go.
I am skeptical of adopting home cooked because it failed Finn and I don't want to fail Asher. Maybe all this is just giardia? I've researched. I've tried. I've failed. I dont know what to do.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I know when my dog has giardia even the bland diet isn’t enough to clear up the diarrhea. Plus, if the diarrhea only starts when you add kibble back in, it seems to me that the kibble might be the problem. Does he have any food sensitivities?

I think antibiotics are way over prescribed (for dogs and humans) and if it were me I would try everything else first. The internal medicine vet I spoke to said metronidazole can “reset” the bacteria in the GI tract which seems like a risky thing to do, in my opinion.

·
Registered
Asher, Black GSD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know when my dog has giardia even the bland diet isn’t enough to clear up the diarrhea. Plus, if the diarrhea only starts when you add kibble back in, it seems to me that the kibble might be the problem. Does he have any food sensitivities?

I think antibiotics are way over prescribed (for dogs and humans) and if it were me I would try everything else first. The internal medicine vet I spoke to said metronidazole can “reset” the bacteria in the GI tract which seems like a risky thing to do, in my opinion.
Thanks Brittany
That is helpful to know that your dog did not clear up on a bland diet with giardia. Yes. If my dog had diarrhea regardless of diet I would totally agree with it likely still being giardia. But it really seems like it is food related at this point. The vet didn't think we should fecal test till after the second round of the medicine. But my husband decided he wants to go ahead and test first before dousing him again. Your right! How could I miss food allergies? I will give that a look. I was avoiding chicken actually but I wasn't thinking food allergies in general.

·
Registered
365 Posts
One way to know if it is food allergies is to try a hypoallergenic kibble. My dog has been on Royal Canin HP for years because it is the only thing he seems to tolerate. It’s a little pricy, but if your dog does well on it you can do an elimination diet to try and isolate what foods might give him trouble. Good luck in figuring out what’s going on, I know it can be frustrating trying to pin down the problem!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Have you tried a balanced premade raw? There may be a filler in the kibble he is not tolerating. I'd also look into adding a probiotic to his diet as well. Maybe see if there is a holistic Vet in your area as well.

Giardia can really mess up the gut, especially in a puppy who is still growing.

·
Registered
Asher, Black GSD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried a balanced premade raw? There may be a filler in the kibble he is not tolerating. I'd also look into adding a probiotic to his diet as well. Maybe see if there is a holistic Vet in your area as well.

Giardia can really mess up the gut, especially in a puppy who is still growing.
The nearest holistic vet is an hour and half away. . . But I am thinking of making an appt. Im mentally and emotionally spent.
Raw is not something I would like to do but I'm open to everything right now. I would like to get beyond all my day being consumed with trying to get my dog to poop solid and instead spend time planning what we are going to do together.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
It might be as simple as introducing a new kibble (Solid Gold) even in a small amount that provoked diarrhea again.
You can ask vet for a prescription food, it work wonders for some dogs.
Doing a balanced commercial raw diet might work as well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Probably try Venture Turkey recipe. It is a hypoallergenic kibble that is potato, legumes, grain free. If you can buy it in store, you can print a black friday coupon on their official website for $7 off. Chewy has a discount too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can try to add probiotics (Protexin Pro-Fibre is the brand I used for my dog which prescribed by the vet) or try some plain yogurt. I know the feeling, never thought about seeing solid poop from my dog would make my day!

There should be blood test can be done from the vet to determine whether he is allergic to some food.

·
Registered
Asher, Black GSD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to each one. Will keep plugging away to see if I can find something that works. Checking out the supplements you mentioned. Looked for a holistic vet but the only reputable one I could find is not taking any new clients. Is there a bang your head against the wall emoji? Have a blessed day

1 - 10 of 10 Posts