German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..Blade..six and a half male..came back from boarding kennels Saturday. He was lethargic and his testicles were swollen red and weeping. Trip to the vet and she said he had an infection..could have been a bite could have been stress. Two injections of anti-biotic and anti-inflammatory and a course of the same in tablet form.
Its been four days now..he is still shaking/trembling..wont eat hardly anything..has little water. He used to sleep inside before kennels but he wont come in..in the day or night.
Should I wait til he has had the full course of treatment or take him back to the vet. I cant help feeling its something more sinister.
Thanks for any help x
Blades very worried mummy !

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I would be contacting the boarding kennel and finding out what happened, preferably call and set up an appointment with a manager if applicable for a face to face meeting. Take the vet's report as backup and see what they say

If there was an injury or incident then it should have been noted I would hope.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update on Blade.After two weeks on anti biotics and not much progress, today we had him castrated. The vet asked to x ray him as well because of weight loss and we have now found out he has hip dysplacia. It is £4000 per hip and we just cannot afford to have this done. Of course his insurance doesnt cover it.
The vet said we could manage it with pain medication and other drugs..can anyone advise us on what drugs he will need.
We simply cannot afford to pay for hip replacement but want to make sure we are doing everything we can to make Blade comfortable.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
So sorry to hear about your boy. There are lots of threads under hd or hip dysplasia supplements. I have been looking into the same thing for my puppy. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Consider the less expensive FHO procedure, depending on how bad the HD is.
My dog had a hip replacement on one side. For the other side I use Zeel for pain mange ent. Works just as well as rimadyl, but no horrible side effects.

He's also on Seapet 200, glycoflex 3, and hyaluronic acid. So far, so good.

Zeel is great stuff. Three in the morning, three in the afternoon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts