German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I got a 4 month old GSD and I've been crate training ever since I got her.

Pebbles makes it through the night (8hrs) without ever asking to go eliminate. When I get up for work (6am) I feed her and she'll pee and poo.

I'm at work for 8 hrs, at which time she is in her crate. I used to come home at lunch to let her go but I figured since she is fine for 8 hrs at night, she might be ok 8 hrs during the day.

I tried it for 1 week and she hasn't had any accidents thus far.

Do you think I am taking things too fast? Can a 4 month old puppy's bladder really last the 8 hrs or am I pushing the envelope?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
Welcome to this great site!
I would still let her out at lunchtime if at all possible. Your pup may get a UTI if she holds it too long. Or start behavioral anxiousness from holding it. 4 ms. is very young, IMO to go without a break.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't like the idea of leaving a dog in a crate 8 hours a day whether they can hold it or not. i don't leave my dogs in a crate longer than 4 hours. we have someone come in and let them out. when our Shep was 4 months old i would let him out in the middle of the night. every now and then our Shep will wake one of us up to go out in the middle of the night. if he has to go he has to go. get a dog sitter to come in and let your dog out. 8 hours alone in a crate at 4 months old, that doesn't sound good. they can hold it for 8 hours at 4 months but why do it? let them be comfortable. 4 months old and left alone so long, it's a baby, i think it needs more contact than that.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I agree, either go home at lunch and let her out or if you can't, hire someone to do it. General rule of thumb is one hour more than the puppy's age, so max 5 hours right now.

My personal rule of thumb for my dogs has been, would I want to go that long without being able to eliminate? No. So even an adult gets the opportunity to go out at least every 5 hours.

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
I remember a black lab pup, that was crated for several hours a day til he was over a yr old. I cleaned the owners home and cleaned up his mess as he couldn't hold it, both poo and pee. I only was there one day per week. Then one day I went to let him out of his crate, and his poor hips were so weak, he crawled to me. The owners finally quit crating him so much and he grew strength, but they paid out big bucks at the vet for meds and nutritional joint supplements. I think if this pup wasn't crated for 8 hrs. per day, his muscle tone/hips wouldn't have been such an issue. He is now grey muzzled, (time flies~I haven't seen him for a few yrs.) he is a rolly poly boy ...

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
masi is 4.5 mths and tho she holds it also overnite in a crate,,there is just "something" different about daytime crate training (not that I've pushed the envelope to "see" if she can hold it that long).

Right now, my rule of thumb is , definately no longer than 4 hours during the day in her crate without a potty break (most times since I have the luxury it's far less:))

I also agree with the suggestions to keep going home on your lunch breaks or find someone who can give her a break during the day..

(Just to add,,gosh am I lucky, having that luxury of such a flexible schedule,,if I left masi all nite in a crate, and then 8 hours during the day, I'd come home to a spazzing maniac:)))))
diane

·
Registered
149 Posts
Is it bad if they hold it all night? Gunner is coming on 10 weeks and we usually go out for the last potty break at 1 or 2am and then he usually doesn't wake up until about 9 or 10. He knows when we go to the bedroom we sleep - no play. If he cries then of course I get up and take him out but on our "late nights" he's usually out like a light and doesn't wake up til morning.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when we brought our boy home at 9 weeks old i took him out every 15 mins. then every 1/2 hour as time went on. over night i took him out every 2 hours then our breeder said let him sleep. he caught hold it over night. during the day i increased his time to every hour, then every 2 hours and so on. i started leaving his crate door open at 4 months old. he would come to us in the middle of the night the night if he had to go out. he didn't want to go out every night in the middle of the night just sometimes. whenever he would ask i would let him out. he's 14 months now. every now and then he'll want to go out in the middle of the night. it's usually at 4:00 am. it's probably different with each pup. some can hold it some can't. i they have to go out in the midle of the night take them. i don't think you're developing any bad habits by taking your out when it's telling you it has to go in the middle of the night. when they can hold it over night they will.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Originally Posted By: onyx'girlI remember a black lab pup, that was crated for several hours a day til he was over a yr old. I cleaned the owners home and cleaned up his mess as he couldn't hold it, both poo and pee. I only was there one day per week. Then one day I went to let him out of his crate, and his poor hips were so weak, he crawled to me. The owners finally quit crating him so much and he grew strength, but they paid out big bucks at the vet for meds and nutritional joint supplements. I think if this pup wasn't crated for 8 hrs. per day, his muscle tone/hips wouldn't have been such an issue. He is now grey muzzled, (time flies~I haven't seen him for a few yrs.) he is a rolly poly boy ...
I think there were more issues than just being in the crate while they were at work. Ava is crated for generally 4 hours at a time during the day, but sometimes it was 8 if I could not get away at lunch time, although she is staying out by herself more and more now that she has matured and is dependable. She never developed soreness or weakness in her hips, ever, but she got plenty of out and play time when I got home. Poor guy must have been crated all the time and never let out, even when they were home.........

I agree, more than 4 hours for a 4 month old pup is a bit much, and would wait until he is much older before expecting that of him. I know many people here dont believe in crating all day, even for adult dogs, I disagree and feel it is fine, as long as the dog is getting plenty of exercise and mental stimulation while you are home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts