German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might seem like a rather silly question, but how long do/can your dogs hold their urine?
I ask because last night I took Archer out at 8pm for what I call a 'settling stroll' (short 20 min walk before bed around the block for sniffs, wee and what ever else he might feel like doing). He urinated a few times and we wandered home at our leisure. At around 11pm my husband let him out to urinate, which he declined to do. Archer came in and went to bed. This morning he clamboured up on my bed- as is his custom- and waited for me to get up. He followed me to the kitchen and lay snoozing until I had finished my breakfast and had a cup of coffee, whereupon my husband let him out and - don't laugh- sort of insisted he urinate, which Archer did, albeit at a leisurely fashion, and for ages.
So, this young dog (14 months) went from 8pm- 10am without needing to urinate, and was terribly relaxed about it all when he did go. He's in great health and seems absolutely fine in every regard, I'm just curious about this. Is this normal? He's a raw fed dog.

( oh, when out exercising he pees like a horse, especially when out with his big rotty x ridgeback friend, they seem to have a competition to see who can pee on whose head most :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Lakota has a bladder of steel. There have been times she's gone 10 hours. I normally take the dogs out after dinner. If there's a storm before we go to bed and I can't get them to go, they have to wait still the morning.
Good thing I'm not a dog.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
The longest I had one hold it was over 24 hours. I was having a baby and we had an older puppy. We DID make arrangements for someone to come over and take him out and excercise him. We were obvoiusly distressed. That was before cell phones and we did not know our paid helper failed in her duties. When my husband went home to change clothes etc. he found out.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
a couple of weeks ago my dog held it for 10 hours or more.
our work schedules didn't allow either one of us to be home
to let him out and our neighbor/dog sitter was out of town.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I had 3 dogs who held it for 22 hours because we had to stop at a motel in a snowstorm and none of them would potty on the leash. Ugh. Bad me for not working on this.

I try to get them, especially my females, to go more because I freak out about transitional cell carcinoma which...I need to be medicated.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I made a point of traing Beau to potty on the leash because Grim was so bad about it I had to take him offlead somewhere to go when we travelled. My dogs are trained to not go on our neighborhood walks and I neglected that part about "its ok to go if I say so"

·
Registered
433 Posts
Stella is 2 1/2 and she seems to go only twice a day despite many many opportunities, so every 12 - 13 hours is usual for her !!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
My dog has an outdoor kennel that she can access through a pet door. I did this because I work 12 hour shifts and am sometimes gone 12-14 hours at a time. And this was great for a long while. Then all of a sudden she just decided she would rather hold it than to go out there.....I dunno why. She goes 10-15 hours rather regularly without having to hurridly go when we get home....

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Shasta will generally go potty any time I let her out but she will not potty on leash unless she's on the flexi and can get the full distance away. She refused to pee while on leash as a pup too. All of my adult dogs have been known to hold it for up to 24 hours. I have no idea how they do it but they do. The longest Shasta has held it recently was 12 hours with no problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts