German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to put up some pictures soon, my camera battery is dead and the charger is missing..

I've been noticing silver hair coming in on Sage. First it was under his chin and behind his ears and then the root of his hair around his shoulders. Today he has a small line of silver hair showing that goes straight up his shoulder on the back side. So I started looking at his fur and he has silver roots through his entire coat(where its currently black) except the small strip of fur on the top of his back and his head. I've never seen or heard of this before.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Are you talking about the stripe behind the shoulder?
Dante's had one for ever

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got some pictures..

at the moment he seems to be a blanket blk tan

these are just behind the shoulder, by his ribs and hip

hard to get it to come out without flash

in the pictures it looks a little more cream but its very very silver/grey

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looks pretty normal. My Tank was black on the back then all of the sudden got a stripe down his spine all silvery mixed in. Kinda lookes like a skunk but has now blended in with all this other colors a lot like Dantes speckling. I like it. I think your pup is going to be some salt and pepper in him. Watch his face, it will change I bet. Mine I think has finally settled into his look at 1yr. We tease him that he wears eyeliner like Cleopatra or I started calling him Zorro because it looks like a mask around his eyes of pure black. Dantes eyes don't seem to have the full circle of black around the eyes.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Originally Posted By: lovemybeastLooks pretty normal.
thats what i was thinking. in fact, i think its pretty rare to see a B/T dog that doesnt have fur like that. if you notice - the hairs are a little shorter and softer then the others - thats the undercoat. no matter if they're a blanket back, saddle back, or bi color - they all have it to some degree.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
If the color change is excessive, then eventually you might want to get the thyroid checked. When our boy's fur was changing, it *really* changed. It was only after we started hormone therapy for his low thyroid that it started looking like it does now.

I don't know if it will show well, but notice how silver the neck area looks here, more silver than black, in the pic that was taken in about 2003 or 2004:

I don't know if you can see in this relatively recent pic, there is more black than silver:

Indy, however, has the silver roots on her sides, much more than Max does, which you can't even see in her pics (from '04):

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was wondering the same thing, also

Sadie Mae also has a small splash of silver hair, maybe about 20 hairs, on her back, right between her shoulder blades. She also has two white toe nails, which according AKC, is not "acceptable." But she is soo beautiful! These just make my dog especially unique. She is the smartest puppy I have ever seen and I literally get comments on her beauty EVER SINGLE TIME we go for a walk. She is that pretty. And sweet. And well behaved.

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
I never heard of a bitch stripe.
I have a very prominent one I have to
Touch up every 3 weeks.
It doesn't work for me!!!
:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts