German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few pics of my 12 1/2 yr old GSD. She hasn't had any changes in her diet, had a bath at the vet a little less than 2 weeks ago. Vet just put her on baytril to help treat this one cyst that broke in the first pic.

First pic shows what we think was a cyst that broke but don't know why it still looks like this.

These next 2 pics are areas where she has lost and is completely losing her hair. There are those black patches in those areas as well. I can literally just pull out her hair in these places. Also, she stinks, just a very doggy smell, like doggy B.O. or something, the whole house stinks. We have a 4 month old in the house so I'm a bit concerned for her as well. Vet said these were "hot spots" but they don't look like that to me. She doesn't seem to be itchy at al but there is a lot of flakes, looks like dandruff around these areas.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be and what I could do? I've had the cone on her head for over a week now, I hate doing that to her but I don't want her making these areas worse...

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Re: Black skin disease? Pics....Please help

Did the vet do a skin biopsi for culture? There could be a couple of things going on.

Val

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

It looks like a Staph infection...I'm not a Vet, so don't quote me on this. I am a groomer, though, and I see these periodically. I believe it is best treated with antibiotics.
Again, this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

No, vet didn't do a culture, said it was hot spots. Going to take her back again today. If it is staph, what types of antibiodics would work? Like I said, she is on baytril now but that doesn't seem to be doing anything. Thanks for taking a look at these pics for me, my girl has had a rough 3 years and I hate seeing her like this.

Does anyone know of any good vets in Central NJ?

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

Ask for a referral to a vet dermatologist. Are you close enough to go to U-Penn in Philadelphia? If so that would be where I would want to take her.

It could be a bunch of stuff-thyroid, staff, histio stuff-either the good or the bad. You may be smelling infection. But it could be secondary to something else going on.

You will save a ton of time, trouble for her and you, and in the long run, probably money, by seeing a dermatologist. Especially at U-Penn-from what I remember they have a really good dermatology service.

Has this been going on over that time?

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

She has had skin issues for almost 3 years now, they never found out what it was, took her to 2 different dermatologists. Skin issues were never like this though, she used to get these raised scabs along her back, never lost hair or anything.

Neither derm ever figured out what it was either so I'm obviously not taking her back to them. I'm probably 2.5 hours away from Philly so it wouldn't be a terrible ride for me.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

Does she get those round button things a lot?

I like those vet teaching hospitals because you have so many people looking at stuff and if they are like Cornell you get really great service. http://www.vet.upenn.edu/RyanHospital/Sp...35/Default.aspx

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Round button things? Like in the first pic? Yeah, she gets more of them than I would like.

Does this look like Ringworm to anyone?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowI'd say staph or yeast infection.
Or both at the same time. The stink is usually a yeast overgrowth. Also have you checked her ears? I had a foster a million years ago (it seems) whos ears were so infected he smelled horrible. He had no hair due to being neglected etc, but they were so focused on the skin the over looked the ears. Once they cleared the ear infection his skin got better as well.

Keflex is usually the antibiotic for skin that works well. My vets for bad infections will putt he dogs either on a high dose (1000 mg) 2x a day or sometimes a regular dose (500mg) 3x a day to get rid of it.

The crusty appearance and her age it may be a form of cancer on the skin. I would suggest getting it cultured and biopsied to be sure - also the culture will tell you which antibiotic to use. If it is fungal you can try treating it topically with the OTC meds for yeast infections in woman or for athletes foot/jock itch. It is the same product in different forms.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts

Along with what GS Mom posted this is not usually a 14 day treatment, think more in the terms of 30. I had a dog that was on a 58 day course of Ceph. to clear the Staph infection.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts

If it's a staph infection you'll definitely want to do a culture to see which antibiotics the bacteria will respond to. Kessy had a staph infection in her throat last year and the culture results said the bacteria were resistant to the two more commonly used antibiotics.

I don't know how far you are from Red Bank animal hospital, but I've heard they are very good but also extremely expensive...
I'd take her to Philly though, hopefully you can get some answers!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thank you for all the quick responses. I am taking her back to the vet today after work. I will post when I get an update on what's going on....thanks again

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Lisa,

I've been giving her salmon oil for about a year or so now. How much zinc and biotin would you recommend?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts

Fosters&Smith (is that the right name), used to have a combo product, with both. Some of the other places might also.

I would be comfortable with 30mg of zinc and probably 1000 mcg of biotin. It's the zinc you have to be careful of, biotin has a very wide safety margin. Max is on a homeprepared lamb-based diet and he gets 30 mg of zinc and 2000 mcg of biotin daily.

LJsMom has been giving biotin too, maybe she'll see this when she logs on.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

You've received good advice so far and hopefully the vet appointment goes well.

The strong odor smell and the flakiness/dandruff makes me think of seborrhea, http://www.petplace.com/dogs/seborrhea-in-dogs/page1.aspx#

There are both oily and dry forms and it can be both a primary or a secondary condition. Perhaps a bath with a medicated shampoo for this condition would help?

Good luck! I know this must be frustrating for you!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Natalie,

Thanks, it is very frustrating. Like I said, she has been having so many issues, especially skin issues for the past 2 1/2 years or so. Weird thing is all this started when my father passed away, she was his, followed him everywhere. So I took her in with me, now she's like that with me but always seems a little sadder, hasn't been herself. Just want to get her some kind of relief, tired off not getting answers.

Vet did give us some type of shampoo for seborrhea, didn't seem like it did too much but this was over a year ago. I will update all of you once I get some sort of answer, thanks again, this is a great forum we have here.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts

Originally Posted By: LisaTLJsMom has been giving biotin too, maybe she'll see this when she logs on.
I had been giving Steel 1,000 mcg of biotin daily. He had a thyroid issue when I adopted him, and the fur on his neutering site didn't completely grow back in. Sooo, several months later, his fur is very nice but he won't shed.

Has the thyroid been checked?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts

Good call on the thyroid.

For the skin, maybe there is something environmental that is different ansd causing these skin issues, or a different food, etc.

If you're interested, Ignatia is the classic homeopathic remedy used for grief. It might be indicated here?

1 - 20 of 121 Posts