German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would YOU consider a black sable? the add on craigslist ( no hate please, hes a great dog and you cant tell at all he was off of craigslist, i still got to see the parents and stuff. we also have papers) said that he was a dark sable, but he looks so much like the black sables that come up on google...
so my question is, what do you consider a black sable?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Is there even a true sable coloring distinction? Or is it just gray sable, brown sable, or the fabled black sable (rhyme lol)?

My next GSD will be sable and not B/T.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have learned recently that genetically sables are sables. Diffrent things control the pigment. "Black sable" is a descriptive term used to describe the depth of pigment on a sable dog. I think its usually associated with sables that carry the recessive black gene. However not all sables that carry black are described as black sable or even dark sable. Its like the Black and red dogs are genetically black and tan. The red pigment is just expressed in a greater amount in the black and red dogs.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Dax is considered a Black Sable. genetically, he's just a sable. Just the tips of his coat are a heckuva lot darker than others.

Shasta is a patterned sable but again, still sable....

·
Registered
371 Posts
My pup is a dark sable but some days he looks almost all black others he is very light and it depends on the lighting. The last pic is the day after the first few.
Both of his parents were sables. Sire was black sable and dam was Darker then her pics show. They both carry black because My pup had a black litter mate.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dax is considered a Black Sable. genetically, he's just a sable. Just the tips of his coat are a heckuva lot darker than others.

Shasta is a patterned sable but again, still sable....

Jaxx was about the same color as Dax at that age. He had two all black litter mates one Black and Tan and he was the only sable. Does that mean that his parents carried black? His mom was Black and Tan blanket back and dad was a reddish but dark sable.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a picture that shows how dark he is, would this be considered black sable? ImageUploadedByPG Free1376694019.905783.jpg
Sorry, I know it's blurry... It was taken like a month ago so he is even darker now

·
Premium Member
11,131 Posts
I have seen alot of dogs that people say are "black sable" but have only seen a handful of true black sables....

My Csabre is considered to be a black sable by most people's definition....but really I see too much red to consider her a "true" black sable, same with all the dogs pictured here....

A Czech told me that a true black sable can only be differentiated from a black dog by turning back its coat to see the tan/red hairs ....hints of color on legs, eyes....

this is a TRUE black sable dog!

Lee

·
Registered
371 Posts
Here's another in better light.... View attachment 102001

He is dark for sure but I mean sun behind the camera shinnig of of the dog. Those are the best pics Look at say Puck vom Grafental He I would consider a black sable every way you look at him he is looks pretty black. Here ar what I would consider true black sables.

As for that pup I dunno but he is very very dark no matter what you call him. Gorgeous

Attachments

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
To me, a "black sable" appears as a black dog except for some tan around the eyes and on the backs of the legs. The front of the legs and the feet should be black for me to consider it a "true" black sable.

I have heard that for a dog to be considered a "true" black sable, he has to carry recessive black. No idea if that's true...

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have seen alot of dogs that people say are "black sable" but have only seen a handful of true black sables....

My Csabre is considered to be a black sable by most people's definition....but really I see too much red to consider her a "true" black sable, same with all the dogs pictured here....

A Czech told me that a true black sable can only be differentiated from a black dog by turning back its coat to see the tan/red hairs ....hints of color on legs, eyes....

this is a TRUE black sable dog!

WDC 2012 Gordon vom Fuchsgraben Protection - Taylor Made Working Dogs - YouTube

Lee
Lee, I like gordons looks alot but would you say based on the above description thathe is a "true" black sable.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,131 Posts
Gordon does not look as black in that photo!!!! The video - yes.....the dog above - Remy Ze Sluzebník Domu - looks darker in the standing up photo...

Lee

·
Registered
371 Posts
I dunno Who the first pic is. As much as I dispise the owner of Remy he is the Darkest Dog I have ever seen and also probably one of the most aggressive. I have seen lots of "Black Sables" 9/10 have been just really dark. Remy is Black until you get really close to him. I mean like 4 ft away. I believe my males father is Black sable also Rex Ludwigseck.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lee, I like gordons looks alot but would you say based on the above description thathe is a "true" black sable.
Wow that dog is gorgeous. He looks a lot like how I picture Jaxx looking this winter, and I say winter because he just blew his coat and now you can see little sparks of red in his fur. Most of the time he has a full black coat except for around his eyes, legs and ears. He also has this weird little "mane" thing goin' on on his neck haha. Either way.. If he is a dark or black sable, I love him just the same. And I'm thinking he is a dark dark dark sable instead of a black sable. But he's very close to being a black sable that's for sure.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Wow that dog is gorgeous. He looks a lot like how I picture Jaxx looking this winter, and I say winter because he just blew his coat and now you can see little sparks of red in his fur. Most of the time he has a full black coat except for around his eyes, legs and ears. He also has this weird little "mane" thing goin' on on his neck haha. Either way.. If he is a dark or black sable, I love him just the same. And I'm thinking he is a dark dark dark sable instead of a black sable. But he's very close to being a black sable that's for sure.

I love his looks did he come with Pedigree info.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts