German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are black GSD rare or worth less $? We found a sweet black GSD 9 wks so we were just wondering. Making sure we don't over pay for him.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay thanks. We are going through a breeder this is her 17 litter. She has all akc papers and hips checked with great marks. See she is only asking $600.00

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I think it varies by region. It was harder to find a black in my area. They should cost the same as the other color patterns though. Is someone saying they are rare and trying to charge you more? If that is the case then maybe you should go somewhere else. It is the bloodline that matters not the color.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Holy sh.. are all GSD puppies so expensive? :eek: Or only the pure bread lines?
I believe our Beagle was 900 gulden at the time, which is about 450 euros/dollar. And yes that was from a well known reputable breeder.

I just never looked at puppy prices of a GSD before :crazy:

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I believe our Beagle was 900 gulden at the time, which is about 450 euros/dollar. And yes that was from a well known reputable breeder.

Yes, just for the puppy they usually start out at 1,000 and up from a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
30,384 Posts
You can't tell a bad breeder by the price. Many BYB's are now charging over $1000 for a puppy. Do the parents have minimum health tests done? Hips? Elbows? Do they have hte OFA results? Have they been trialed? Show? Obedience? SchH? Any sport? Have the parents been bred together before? What temperaments have they produced? Health problems? Start with those questions.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
You can't tell a bad breeder by the price. Many BYB's are now charging over $1000 for a puppy. Do the parents have minimum health tests done? Hips? Elbows? Do they have hte OFA results? Have they been trialed? Show? Obedience? SchH? Any sport? Have the parents been bred together before? What temperaments have they produced? Health problems? Start with those questions.
Yes, you are correct about the price, but I would definitly second guess the breeder based on the price.

Very good post btw.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
You are absolutely correct. It is so hard to tell a BYB from reputable based on the price alone.

LoveMyDogs-the above questions are definately the ones you need to ask. I will tell you from personal experience make sure you meet the parents of the puppies. Ask about temperment? We didn't cause we didn't know any better and ended up with an aggressive nightmare(Victor). Please be careful.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts

Blazings, it's an American thing. Americans charge more for their puppies than people in Europe.

I haven't "shopped" for a German Shepherd puppy, but I brought home a Hollandse Herder last year from Assen, Nederland. The puppy (and all NHSB HH in Nederland) cost me 500. In the USA an ugly HH costs $1,500!

My friend was interested in a Portuguese Podengo. In the USA the breeder wants $2,650. Again, in Portugal the puppy costs 600. I asked somebody who lives in Portugal who breeds dogs and he even said that the American prices are "ridiculous!"

Groetjes ;)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts