German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6 month old Eisenguard is solid black, no white on his chest at all, however has a few red hairs between a few of his toes. You can only see them when the you physically pull apart his toes!?

Is he bi-colored or still considered a 'black' GSD? I've been told both so I'm interested to know what you all think!

Because he is so cute (and still is), I'll add a pic at 14 weeks old....

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
most blacks will have a few tan hairs between the toes, and white chest spots are common in all colors - blacks, sables and black and red/tans. It does not change the base color name. Blacks will also get some bleed through or "frosting" type coloring as they get older with tan or red on the backs of the legs. I had one male who had sable under his tail (he was a son of 2 sable dogs) and he was still registered as, and considered by all, as a black.

Lee

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
And genetically speaking... is black a genetic trait on itself or it's like a very huge blanket? What about bicolors?

·
Registered
648 Posts
My GSD has tan between the toes and on the back of her legs. She has slowly developed tan in the 3 years I have had her. Her undercoat seems to be a very dark red-brown. It's like she wants to be bi-colored but not quite. She is considered black. She did not have anything but black at 10 wks when I got her.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I always heard that is the hair around the anus is black it is a solid black. If there is tan hair around the anus it is a bi color and will probably get more tan down the legs.
You gotta look under the tail! LOL!

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Our Kali is black, but has tan between her toes, down the backs of her front legs and around her hocks. As she's gotten older (she's now almost 11) the tan has gotten larger, and she's getting gray hair all over, including lots on her chest and belly and under her chin, not just her muzzle.

Photo showing the tan on her legs:

You can see her random gray hairs in this picture:

Originally Posted By: LicanAntaiAnd genetically speaking... is black a genetic trait on itself or it's like a very huge blanket?
Black is a genetic color trait like sable, black/tan, etc... In GSDs it is recessive to all other colors. It's not just a really big blanket.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Thank Chris! I'm trying to learn more of dog genetics. But independent of the genes of the dog it is perfectly normal to see changes with age, after all, color works activating or inhibiting the production of pigments and enzymes and that capacity can change on time.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Originally Posted By: MaxGunnar...I've been tempted to take a permanent black marker to it
Do it!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
And can I do it in my b/t dog?

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
Originally Posted By: larrydee33There is nothing quite so beautiful as a pure black German Shepherd
Agreed!
This my Toblerone,

[/img]
[/img]
[/img]

He had about a dozen brown hairs on each of his back legs. Other than that he was solid black. The vet wrote down his description as Black with Tan

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Originally Posted By: LicanAntaiAnd can I do it in my b/t dog?
Black is beautiful, but you leave that gorgeous puppy of yours alone!!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Originally Posted By: Everett54
Originally Posted By: LicanAntaiAnd can I do it in my b/t dog?
Black is beautiful, but you leave that gorgeous puppy of yours alone!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts