German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I have a 3 month old German Shepherd puppy. His Brother and sisters were the classic black and tan. But him, as you can see, is black with white paws and a white chest. He's so cute to me I had to get him. He's a good boy and though it does not matter, do you think he is not pure bred? Is this normal? or even rare? Would apppreciate any feedback! Thanks yall!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I got my first dog, at age 10, from a shelter. He looked a lot like your puppy with white paw tips and a white marking on his chest. I was told he was a GSD and Lab mix. I could tell when he got older that she wasn't pure GSD because he was a bit shorter in length and a bit bulkier in stature. And we didn't have DNA testing back then, so I guess I'll never know for sure what the mix was. But he was an AWESOME dog who was with me for 12 years! Congratulations on your puppy, he's adorable!

·
Registered
16,121 Posts
To the OP, yup PB GSD. My bi-color looks like a black dog that ran through the bleach & then maybe was really just a plush toy and her stuffing is leaking through the center seam on her chest. The white may be a little less pronounced as he gets older. White spots aren't desirable in the conformation ring. He's one heck of a cute pup. Congrats.

·
Read Only
48 Posts
Hi there! A lot of black purebreds that I have seen from even registered breeders start with a white spot on the chest. But your pup being a few months old already and having the white especially on the paws with, likely is a mix of some sort. Lab? Possibly border collie? I see speckles of black mixed in with the white on the paws. Either way.... he’s gorgeous!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Some dogs regularly produce pups with white on the chest, which usually diminishes at least somewhat with age, and some also produce the white tipped paws. As mentioned above, a fault in the show ring only. He is a very nice looking pup and I would not be at all concerned that he is not purebred if you got him from a reputable breeder. I know of one male that produced several pups with those markings recently with a female that had never had pups with white, so it happens.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Yes looks like a purebred german Shepherd puppy to me and a beautiful one. White patches and toes are not uncommon.

·
Registered
32,556 Posts
German Shepherds can have white on them but that amount is pretty excessive. GSDs have what is called residual white and not genetic. Usually on the chest and feet because the pigment develops there last prior to birth.

Dog Coat Colour Genetics

Yours looks like he has a breed in there that has the spotting gene. But I know of litter with a puppy who was white up to the first joint and I KNOW they are purebred and well bred.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
I think one of the Blackthorn dogs has white toes.

Nope a Wolfstraum dog. Cute little white toes. I have seen lots of them but doubt anyone is going to question that one.

·
Super Moderator
6,171 Posts
Sage had a huge splash of white on her chest. Never stopped her from winning in the show ring.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
He's gorgeous. I love his ears. And you are right - it doesn't matter. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
Have had 2 pups with that much white - one was sired by a 2x National and World Champion....the other was not related....so it happens and is not all that common....a winner of the National Championship in Germany (BSP) a few years back had more white than that on his chest...and he got a V in conformation....

Lee

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
With the right genetic combination, genes from far back can re-surface again. He is a good looking pup. I love the white accents though. Have always been smitten with white feet and chest in any breed, no matter the standard.

·
Registered
32,556 Posts
With the right genetic combination, genes from far back can re-surface again. He is a good looking pup. I love the white accents though. Have always been smitten with white feet and chest in any breed, no matter the standard.
The white on German Shepherds have nothing to do with genetics. Nothing to do with the sires. It is residual white. It's not the spotting gene, it's not piebald. It is how the embryo develops and can be caused by such things as an illness in the mother. I asked about this on another board recently and people had puppies that had extreme white tested...nothing...results were it is residual.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi all! I have a 3 month old German Shepherd puppy. His Brother and sisters were the classic black and tan. But him, as you can see, is black with white paws and a white chest. He's so cute to me I had to get him. He's a good boy and though it does not matter, do you think he is not pure bred? Is this normal? or even rare? Would apppreciate any feedback! Thanks yall!
Is his tongue always sticking out? Does it flop in the air when he is running to you? Does it lag every time you take a picture? Yep he is a shepherd= >:)joking aside he IS adorable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A litter of puppies can have more than one sire. It's possible Mom bred with a purebred GSD AND with something else during the same heat cycle. The black and tan pups could be sired by the purebred and your guy could be sired by Puppy Daddy #2.

Only a DNA test would tell you for sure.

He looks like a bright, little guy. Good luck with him!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts