German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do you start to find out if they are going to be saddled or blanketed? (hope thats a real word haha)

My guy is 9 going on 10 weeks and is still mainly black, his back paws have the tar heel thing going a little bit..

His dad is a bi color and his mom from I can gather is a patterned sable

Going throught the pedigreedatabase, all the black and tans where more blanketed. Just curious, but fingers crossed for blanketededed ;)

"P2" Litter Von Hügelblick | Hillview Kennels

SG Pongo von Hügelblick

G Beika vom Amberg

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Hi there! Looks like a nice breeding! I hope you enjoy your little land shark! In the working lines you see very few saddle backs so you are probably going to be safe with your little guy being a blanket back.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha thanks and good to know :)

He's been pretty decent with the mouthing, he's almost 10 weeks now and really getting comfortable being in my house now. We've taught him a "gentle" command when he is mouthing and never paly with him with our hands. He's already learned the difference between human flesh and his toys. With one exception when he latched onto my big toe for a second with the flirt rag haha.

I' have pics in the welcome section but i'll post a more current one when I get home from work

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
It could be different in different lines of GSD, some of them change their colours with every molt until they are 3. Lucy had only ginger socks at three months when I got her, with time she gets more and more of tan, I can judge by photographs, it continues, but she is 2 and 8 already.

·
Registered
359 Posts
By about four or five months, Discoe's red (tan) was beginning to aggressively come in and become fairly prominent in comparison to the greater-majority of black when she was ten and eleven weeks.
I started to see it around the shoulders and on the rear legs first. I think every dog is different. But Discoe kept a lot of the black down her sides (including a little strip on each side in front of her thighs that fades into her underside...I call it her "saddle straps", and a nice black line of tipping going down the length of her throat.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
That looks like a really nice litter. From the looks of it, those pups are pretty dark and will probably be blanket backs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts