German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always thought my GSD was Black and Tan, the breeder also told me he was. I'm not 100% sure now. I saw some pictures of Patterned Sables and it made me think that maybe Harley was that; You can't tell if you look at a picture of him, but he has tan hairs underneath the black, and black hairs underneath the tan. I don't know if this is typical for Black and Tans? I was just curious.:confused:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
He's black and tan. Post puppy pics.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I always thought my GSD was Black and Tan, the breeder also told me he was. I'm not 100% sure now. I saw some pictures of Patterned Sables and it made me think that maybe Harley was that; You can't tell if you look at a picture of him, but he has tan hairs underneath the black, and black hairs underneath the tan. I don't know if this is typical for Black and Tans? I was just curious.:confused:
What did he look like as a puppy? Was he mostly black with tan feet, or mostly tan with a black stripe down the back?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Shasta as a puppy

Shasta now

She's a patterned sable. If your pup didnt look like her basically as a puppy, you have a black and tan.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
OT, but that pic of Shasta as a puppy made me "AWWWWWWWWWWWW!" out loud!!! :D Everyone is looking at me like I'm insane.

lol she was a cute lil monster.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree with you on spreading the hair and looking for the banding but bost sables have a more whitish/gray fur in the shoulder area not the tipical light tan. Its a small pic but was pionting out that aswell as everyone elses point on it being a sable

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I agree with you on spreading the hair and looking for the banding but bost sables have a more whitish/gray fur in the shoulder area not the tipical light tan. Its a small pic but was pionting out that aswell as everyone elses point on it being a sable

Even black and tan saddles can have some sabling at the shoulders. THAT is not an indicator. If the pup was a tan color when younger instead of black with tan points, then he would be a patterned sable but if you look at the OPs pic album, the dog is black and tan.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Below is a picture of the OPs dog from their album. The saddle is black. If the dog was a patterned sable, the saddle would NOT be black.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Concerning Genes: THE AGOUTI SERIES

The basic body color of the German Shepherd is controlled by the genes. The order of German Shepherd coat colors dominance is as follows: golden sable, grey sable, saddle marked black and tan, bicolor* black and tan (bicolor is where the dog only has tan on the legs and face, not on the body), and black.

Additionally, know that the black gene is recessive to all the other colors in GSD's. Solid black German Shepherds bred to solid black German Shepherds will only produce blacks. The sable colors are dominant over all the other colors and patterns in the German Shepherd [COLOR=#000096 !important][COLOR=#000096 !important]Dog breed[/COLOR][/COLOR].

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Even black and tan saddles can have some sabling at the shoulders. THAT is not an indicator. If the pup was a tan color when younger instead of black with tan points, then he would be a patterned sable but if you look at the OPs pic album, the dog is black and tan.
^ This was my point :) I just didn't voice it as well ^w^

·
Registered
68 Posts
op's
op's dog has a sable hair all over the back
black & tan solid black blanket. the puppy pics would help sables are tan as you has stated. Not tring to argue, I know what my dog is. I have a sable GSD!

·
Registered
68 Posts
This was one reason we went with a sable, you never really know what your going to get with a black and tan hahaha the mask can be real light or dark or whatever hahaha i love my sable and atleast you can look at all the differnt color hair aroung the house not just black and tan ones hahah

1 - 20 of 38 Posts