German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bella at 8.5 Months. More Black and tan or Black and Red, one debate at my house. Her mother was Sable. Bi-Color Father. Does anyone think this sable strip going down her back will spread, be permanent, or will her final adult coat be sable?? Also, is there any genetic link to ear size - Euro lines. Both sides of Bella's pedigree have direct German links. Many are in German. Are her ears too big per standard. Or is just mostly about preference????

Attachments

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
she is a black and tan. If she was an actual sable she wouldnt have the coloring she does. her entire saddle would be sable and then she would be known as a patterned sable. If she were black and red, the tan would be a much richer coloration and it would be darker and actually red. Keep in mind, most saddled shepherds has a bit of the sable coloration on the back of their neck/shoulders area.

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
I figured Black and Tan.

What can you tell me about the "bitch stripe"?
The technical term is "bitch stripe." The more loving term is "angel wings." :halogsd: Most commonly seen in females and neutered males.

I don't believe that there is a standard for ear size.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
All of ours have had more "sable" come out in their saddle as they get older. They have more coloring peak out around the ears and on the face as well. I think it is common for their coloring to evolve as they age.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as the color issue. If you have ever saddled up and rode a really beautiful showy Tenn. Walker only to find out it has a screw loose while you are on his back,......well then you would understand my comment about color. haha

Point being.....whether a sable, black and tan, ect..... If you own a wonderful, loving, smart GSD. Color should be secondary. I was just curious and thought I would think out loud to all on here.

I really appreciate all the comments, everyone!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.