German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update: So DNA test shows that he has atat at his a locus so that means he is in fact a bicolor?

Original:So I got my little atlas (8 weeks) and I was wondering about his coloring. When we got him he was black and tan. But now I'm noticing that his tan is becoming more silver gray, especially on the chest. I looked up his father's info as he was not on site as they had used a stud service and found out that he was listed as a black and silver. So I was wondering if anyone would have any idea about his puppy colors or a possible coat prediction. I'm hoping he will stay dark though. He was the darkest of his liter. (First picture is him, second is mother and siblings, third is father from online search, 4th is siblings).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,702 Posts
Be it tan / brown / cream / silver or red... genetically they’re all the same. Your puppies tan points will likely be very light, as both parents are light. As far as pattern...again, the parent are your best predictors, I suspect your pup will be close to mom. The far left puppy standing on the fence will likely resemble dad... just for reference.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
169 Posts
Black and Silver

Hello. Blk/Silver is my favorite old world color in shepherds and having many Black and Silver GSDs in my family since I was little to now(55), your pup will mostly stay the way he is with black in his markings and face, silver around chest/ stomach area with silver and a touch cream on his legs. What he looks like in the 5 months photo is what you got. Cute

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
I’m not sure if a melanistic Black and Tan. I know the black recedes as they grow. It looks like you will have a blanket Black and Tan with a lot of Black very handsome!

·
Super Moderator
8,702 Posts
He’s very very handsome. The black will continue to recede til about a year to a year and a half, but seeing the amount of black he’s retained thus far, I doubt you’ll see THAT much change. I think you can safely say he’s a blanket back (vs mom who has a saddle) and will remain that way even after more black is lost. His tan points will remain the color that they are.... personally I’d still call him tan (vs silver).... but I suppose “cream” could be seen as accurate as well.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
My favorite color gsd ! Had one that looked identical. Never changed, never lightened up except his muzzle turned white due to age. I am envious of your pup's coat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love him and he's my dramatic baby, no matter the coloring and I'm just fascinated about how he's growing! He's my first full gsd I'm just curious as to what others think!

I've noticed also that he has salt and peppering on the back of the neck and a silver/gray undercoat around the neck? Is this common for the GSD? Will the silver undercoat expand and take over the black?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I love him and he's my dramatic baby, no matter the coloring and I'm just fascinated about how he's growing! He's my first full gsd I'm just curious as to what others think!

I've noticed also that he has salt and peppering on the back of the neck and a silver/gray undercoat around the neck? Is this common for the GSD? Will the silver undercoat expand and take over the black?
Mine didn't, the silver remained as an undercoat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So an update, he's still pretty dark! He has faded pencil marks and very light toe penciling that is hard to see in the photos as well as tarheels. Could he be considered as a very faded bicolor? Or would he be a melanistic blanket? Both of his parents were sadlebacks with the father being the black and silver.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,702 Posts
blanket.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A better side picture. There is a lot of debate and mislabeling of bicolors but I saw this figure and thought he could be a faded bicolor because of the faded pencil marks, tarheels and hidden black fur around his nails.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,702 Posts
yes, i figured you had come across that illustration and were understandably confused... what drawings and photos online don’t tell you is that some colors are genetically impossible based on the parents/pedigree/etc. so where i agree that your dog resembles these images, i don’t believe it’s possible with two saddle back parents. if you have a full pedigree, there are members/breeders here that can give you the most accurate info.

for what it’s worth - i’ve never seen a verifiable faded bi color.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
yes, i figured you had come across that illustration and were understandably confused... what drawings and photos online don’t tell you is that some colors are genetically impossible based on the parents/pedigree/etc. so where i agree that your dog resembles these images, i don’t believe it’s possible with two saddle back parents. if you have a full pedigree, there are members/breeders here that can give you the most accurate info.

for what it’s worth - i’ve never seen a verifiable faded bi color.

The funny thing is, I got an embark for him to understand what recessive traits he has, and they have him as a saddle back as well...(in the attached picture) . which is confusing because he's so much darker than a saddleback so I thought it may be a recessive trait? Unfortunately I don't have his pedigree as his mother wasn't registered. Do you think I could still ask and any part of the forum you'd recommend?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,702 Posts
Likely saddle was my initial guess as well. That said... two saddles can produce blankets. It’s bi colors that I believe not to be genetically possible. Without a pedigree, not much more can be explained specific to your boy, but the search feature may help you get some more general information on color genetics.

·
Super Moderator
8,702 Posts
Some other things to consider - mother isn’t registered, they used a “stud service”, father not on site... how reputable is this breeder? Are we sure the dog pictured is the sire? You could be going on a wild goose chase for answers? If dad were black or bi, things would make a lot more sense.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts