German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is insane, it has been years since Remi destroyed anything, today he decided to chew on a wood shelf. A 2-3" spot on the shelf was chewed up. He is 6 now and I thought we were done with this stuff.

He got plenty of exercise over the weekend, he doesn't even do this when he doesn't get exercise.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
224 Posts
This may just be a really wild guess, but how are his teeth? Any chance he's got some inflammation or something causing him pain? Just out of the blue like that makes me try and think of other possible reasons than the usual "he's bored" explanation. Maybe have a peek and then you can rule that out if nothing seems out of the ordinary :)

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This may just be a really wild guess, but how are his teeth? Any chance he's got some inflammation or something causing him pain? Just out of the blue like that makes me try and think of other possible reasons than the usual "he's bored" explanation. Maybe have a peek and then you can rule that out if nothing seems out of the ordinary :)
Thanks! His teeth are fine...I brush his teeth and they look pretty good. But that is a good guess.

·
Registered
731 Posts
This is insane, it has been years since Remi destroyed anything, today he decided to chew on a wood shelf. A 2-3" spot on the shelf was chewed up. He is 6 now and I thought we were done with this stuff.

He got plenty of exercise over the weekend, he doesn't even do this when he doesn't get exercise.

Any thoughts?
I've heard that sage in spray form on the things the dog chews on helps keep them away. An anti chewer spray. Some trainers can teach a dog not to chew on things unless they are given to it.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
omg. Seger earned his crate again too. Never disturbed a single thing and then suddenly in the garbage and on the counter. With him, I think it was retirement and competition with the new dog making him act up. Has anything changed in Remi's life? Maybe Remi's chewing was a one time thing? Something was spilled on the shelf?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jax/MAW-

Nothing comes to mind. The shelf is in the living room, ironically houses all my dog training DVDs. There was nothing spilled on it. The ONLY thing that was different was on Monday I had my friend come over for a walk with his dog. Remi knows the dog from walks. Dog was never in my house till Monday. But she didn't go near the shelf, we were in a different room.

As far as his food goes, about a year ago (give or take) we switched to Annamaet and it has really agreed with him. He eats it well.

Today, nothing bad happened that I can tell in the house after getting home from work. Let's hope it was a one time occurrence.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My dog has chewed one thing in his entire time with us...he ate a corner of my daughter's artwork.
I was suspicious and I asked if she had been snacking while doing her art and yes, she had been eating Cheetos!
So apparently he ate the Cheeto-smeared corner.
(Her art did make it into the district art show anyway, we patched the corner and re-colored it!)

Anyhow...could somebody have set a plate of food on the shelf, and just a bit of seasoning /sauce leaked through a bit or spilled a bit?
Enough to make it smell tasty? :)

That's the only thing I could think of, since that's what caused my dog's chewing incident.

But yes, hopefully it's not a trend!

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Any chance a mouse has found it's way inside? New items on the shelf such as electronics that might generate sounds?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts