German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12 week old will not stop attacking (biting me and coming at me with open mouth) me. She does not do it to my husband only me. I'm tore up and tired of being attacked on a daily. Help please. I do not know what do do at this point.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Research bite inhibition.

When she bites, yell out ouch. If she stops, reward her. If she keeps going, do the ouch again. But no more than 3 times. At the 3rd time, walk away. If she's latched on, you can grab her under the collar and hold her until she lets go. Or always have a toy handy and stick it in her mouth. It slowly teaches them that they lose their human if they play to rough.

When you reengsge with her, make her sit and follow some of your commands. Hopefully she's more calm. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

This is a lot easier if you have the dog cordoned off to a certain area. For example, my pup is in the kitchen. I can walk away from her and ignore her. Come back and re-engage her and she is almost always calmer when I come in with the alpha voice and make her do a sit and maybe a few other commands.

It definitely works but it takes A LOT of consistency and it's slow going. My pup has been pretty good at this point but there's still setbacks. She got me pretty good today. But generally, she almost always stops biting when I ouch her the first time. And her bites have gotten much softer.

Puppy biting is natural. But jsut like when they are playing with other dogs, other dogs walk get away from them if they bite to hard. They naturally learn to control their bites and bite pressure with other dogs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts