German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone my name is Fran. I'm from Mi. We just purchased a giant schnauzer mixed w czek Germans shepherd. The ? is a beautiful. But bites our feet so bad he draws blood. He's almost

11 1/2 weks. He also bites legs and hands also. Omg. I look like a pin cushion. If we correct him he comes back at u even more.we tried stern voice w/ finger pointing. No in English and czec has been tried also. PLEASE CAN SOME HELP. OR SOME MORE OPTIONS. Fran Z.??

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Absolutely great articles Mary Beth! This is sort of a pet peeve of mine...people are always saying, "don't let your dog ever put their teeth on you". But for me, I've always seen this as a positive thing, a communication thing, a necessary part of a puppy thing! I absolutely agree that if you deny them that, they won't learn to bite you gently, and that can cause serious problems later on! I now have a 5 lb Chihuahua, and he didn't ever mouth anyone until he met me, now loves to gnaw on my thumb while I pet him, and he's never been hurtful about it, it's a loving thing! And I strongly believe we have a stronger bond because of it! By all means teach your dog bite inhibition, but don't deny them the communication that happens through mouthing/biting!

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
Absolutely great articles Mary Beth! This is sort of a pet peeve of mine...people are always saying, "don't let your dog ever put their teeth on you". But for me, I've always seen this as a positive thing, a communication thing, a necessary part of a puppy thing! I absolutely agree that if you deny them that, they won't learn to bite you gently, and that can cause serious problems later on! I now have a 5 lb Chihuahua, and he didn't ever mouth anyone until he met me, now loves to gnaw on my thumb while I pet him, and he's never been hurtful about it, it's a loving thing! And I strongly believe we have a stronger bond because of it! By all means teach your dog bite inhibition, but don't deny them the communication that happens through mouthing/biting!

so true,
We have to teach each dog within their own strengths and weaknesses. Mouthing is part of what dogs do. I understand if a dog is going to be a therapy dog or a service dog they may be required to NEVER put their teeth on a person. For a sport dog or a pet that is not the case. I loved playing with my lab/shepherd mix who learned that when we put on gardening glove we could play rough. The gloves came off and the game was over. She had the gentle mouth of a lab. My GSDs not so much. Both of my dogs have learned how to control how much pressure they use on me, although when I come home from I insist my big-boy grabs a toy to greet us instead of taking my arm. He doesn't bite down hard but sometimes catches me at an awkward uncomfortable angle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts