German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a near 11 week old GSD. I know he's a puppy and it's considered normal but his biting is really driving me nuts. When I walk him he nips at my feet. In the evening when we're watching tv he will bite my clothes, hands.... I give him a chew toy but it only lasts a few seconds and he's back on to me. Every time I turn him away from me and say NO he comes back at me even more aggressive. What can I do? I've heard ice chips help because he's teething right now but they don't do much good other than keeping him occupied while he eats them

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
90 Posts
We've had the same issue with our pup, unfortunately it is just something they do. Have you tried yelping when he bites so he knows its hurting you? You have to talk to him in dog language, my pup is 20 weeks and still attacks my partner because my partner let him do it at 8 weeks old and established himself as a playmate rather than a pack leader.. He's now discovering its not so fun as Loki's 4 1/2 months old and his bites draw blood. We're doing taps on the nose with a firm no and separation into a different room for a few minutes and that seems to do the trick, he'll learn eventually don't give up!

·
Registered
120 Posts
We had to do a couple of different things in order to teach our now 15 week old bite inhibition/no more nipping.
The yelping in pain did not work at all. He became more excited and tried nipping more.
We did redirection with a toy or bully stick.
If he was in a super nippy mode and redirecting didn't work, I would give my "no reward marker" sound (ah ah), and stop playing with him for about 15-20 seconds.
I also used a then layer of peanut butter on my hands and feet to encourage licking instead..only downfall is he now loves to lick.
I also noticed the signs&times he got nippy, usually when he was bored.
So I would do training/exercise before he got too crazy.

He has a much softer bite now :)

·
Registered
942 Posts
I also noticed the signs&times he got nippy, usually when he was bored.
So I would do training/exercise before he got too crazy.

He has a much softer bite now :)

THIS!!!! When Sabo is a pain in the rear, some training and fetch for about 20 min wears him out and he's more tolerable. LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts