German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're trying to crate train and we put him in. We gave him his meal in there. We gave him his bone in there. We closed the crate and we sat in the room eating our dinner. He started freaking out and biting the crate wires. He was biting and pulling on the wires. This doesn't seem normal. I'm worried he's going to hurt himself. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
403 Posts
What is happening is that your puppy is afraid and is trying to find a means of escaping in order to get closer to you. Try trial periods of time allowed in the crate. Allow the puppy in the crate at first for 5 minutes and then let him out and praise him (treats are also encouraged). Increase the time increments with each crate visit and don't forget to praise him. If you sudden place him in the crate without introducing it to him, of course it will be a new and scary thing. Just comfort him and reassure him that the crate is not alarming, but a comfortable, relaxing den. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Wolfie did this the first night I had him. What I did was just sit next to the crate, no talking, no touching, no eye contact. Literally in about 5 minutes, he was calm and laying down. A few minutes later he was asleep and I walked away. I did this for a couple nights and never had a problem with him since.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wolfie did this the first night I had him. What I did was just sit next to the crate, no talking, no touching, no eye contact. Literally in about 5 minutes, he was calm and laying down. A few minutes later he was asleep and I walked away. I did this for a couple nights and never had a problem with him since.
I tried this, but Dutch literally chomps down on the wiring and starts pulling. I'm worried he's going to hurt himself. I don't know what to do. He hates being in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts