German Shepherds Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
I posted before I saw she is having bad weather.......

Maybe you could try cutting it down and stapling it to make a cone shape, to hold you until tomorrow.

The towel idea around the neck with duct tape sounds like a good idea too.

Good luck.
Cheryl

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I am going to rig it tonight....I feel so bad because he drools and breaths so heavy...and I will stay by his side tonight on the couch. There is no way I can get him in his crate.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
We made through the night, he eventually got exhausted and laid down and slept. I would venture to guess we stirred about two hours...

I made the cone work somehow so he no chances to lick or bite which is so good. This evening is our first night of Intermediate OB and it's an hour drive each way....( NOPE I am not tired) so on my way I am going to stop in Petsmart and see what they have....Jake is to see the vet Thursday to have remaining stitches removed and I am hoping she will HELP me with a better fitting cone, or I will bandage at bedtime as I think he will chew the area until it is completely healed which will be a while. I need him to be crated at night and there is no way in **** he will go to his crate with this thing on....he won't take more then a step!

I was not prepared for such a simple surgery to turn into this.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The e collar is soooooo big I really don't think I can reach in a get it snapped on. Besides which he is on to me and scared of it so I have to chase him to get it on. I may try later to see....I really feel so bad for him. He is so upset wearing it.....he acts like a deflated scared little thing. I have never seen him fearful of anything, he has an aloof stubborn streak so this is new for me.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
We made through the night, he eventually got exhausted and laid down and slept. I would venture to guess we stirred about two hours...

I made the cone work somehow so he no chances to lick or bite which is so good. This evening is our first night of Intermediate OB and it's an hour drive each way....( NOPE I am not tired) so on my way I am going to stop in Petsmart and see what they have....Jake is to see the vet Thursday to have remaining stitches removed and I am hoping she will HELP me with a better fitting cone, or I will bandage at bedtime as I think he will chew the area until it is completely healed which will be a while. I need him to be crated at night and there is no way in **** he will go to his crate with this thing on....he won't take more then a step!

I was not prepared for such a simple surgery to turn into this.
Here it is...

·
Registered
485 Posts
ah...missed that one - oops. Hope you have a good class tonight, and that you can find something that works better for that poor guy!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Update
Stitches are out and the vet said there is a lot of swelling and redness but it's healing. She seemed puzzled why when I went in Monday why the dr in didn't put him on an anti inflammatory. She wrapped it up to last a day or two, still restrict his exercise for another three days, and three days of an anti inflammatory along with the antibiotic. 3 more days of NO exercise? You must be kidding! That's 13 days!

She showed me a slightly better way with the silly cone and when the bandage comes off if he still finds it interesting he has to wear it.

It is the only kind they carry, so I guess I will make do.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts