German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I would tighten the cone so it looks more cone like and less giant clown collar like. It appears to be the right size though. You can also get the clear ones; they seem to be able to move around better with those as they can see better. I think you can get those at PetSmart. Also, nothing wrong with taking it off when you have direct visual contact so he can't get at the wound while you are watching.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I am going to sleep on the couch downstairs with Jake wearing the cone tethered to me. I am quite sure neither of us will sleep much. I am concerned if he gets really freaked out trying to get him in the crate with this cone that he will associate being crated with scary things....and he goes into his crate soooo well. In hindsight I wish I would have asked more questions to the dr in yesterday because I think I different kind of e collar may have eased the stress, this thing is huge and heavy. I can't find a way to change the shape so it look like a "clown collar". Who knew a simple surgery would turn into such a fiasco! I have allowed him to be with me all day and he hasn't even licked it....he "knows" I am watching that the most frustrating part.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I also thought you might find liquid stitches handy. It goes on like nail polish but with a little stick applicator and is pretty much the consistency of crazy glue.
I use it on hangnails all the time, the stuff is still there even weeks after the hangnail is gone. I'm a hangnail biter and I endorse the stuff. It's made by the band-aid brand.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That maybe a lifesaver because I suspect he will fool with this even after the remaining stitches are removed. And another poster suggested spraying with bitter apple or vinegar...

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
IME cones move enough to let dogs lay down. They walk around funny because they can't see, but they can sleep just fine.

For future references; buying dilutable chlorhexidine would be a good idea. We have a spray bottle of it in the dogs' cupboard just in case. Great disinfectant, it's what we use at the vet and shelters.
Yes, that stuff is awesome for wounds and you use such a small amount (we have the undiluted bottle) that it lasts forever.

It's a great soothing cleaner.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I never saw a cone collar like that one. Did they put that on him at the vet? Ist wondering if they fitted it for you or if you put it on. Libby's tail dilema went on for about 8 weeks. So she was in the cone forever. I ended up getting her some sedatives to decrease her anxiety as she became relentless trying to get to the tail. I could control her when I was with her, but could not trust her when I had to leave her. Between the cone and the sedatives, we saved the rest of her tail.

Cheryl

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I know, it's not working right, when I took him in after he bit out some stitches the vet in (not the one who did the surgery) came in handed me the cone and another round of antibiotics and told me to come back Thursday to have remaining stitches removed. I am stressed out about this cone thing....he has to wear something at night...HELP

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
What time is in in alabama? Is there a petsmart or petco open, they don't close until 9 here. I would go get a new cone. Take him with you to try it on or buy a couple sizes and return the one you don't need.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
We are under tornado warnings....really bad weather outside or I would go.....but I think I have to go tomorrow. The trouble with this piece of @#$%$#*&^ cone is you can't vary the adjustment. the snaps have to line up.
Yes, I have vet tape and bandages....I considered wrapping it up for the night also.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
There are but when you snap in different places the area around the neck closes up....I am going to mess with it...

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I'm not a vet and can't see the incision from the claw removal. Just to get that out there! ;) But if it were my dog in this situation and I didn't have a cone or I had an incorrect sized cone (I'm not sure it's the size, I think your cone is just goofy...)

But to keep him from messing with it, I would probably try medical gauze on the wound itself, possibly with triple antibiotic ointment (ointment on wounds is iffy, sometimes best to let them air out so use your best judgement here). Then snug vet wrap over it, don't cut off the circulation in his foot but it needs to be pretty snug and not slip off.

Vinegar squirt in the mouth, spray the outer vet wrap lightly with vinegar and give him a good squirt directly in the mouth when you catch him messing with it. If he hates the taste it may help discourage him from messing with it too much tonight.

you could follow up the vet wrap with an ace bandage, but the extra bulk may make him bother it even more.

·
Registered
273 Posts
So, the vet did not put the cone on for you? Can you run him back to the vet? A vet tech can show you how to put it on properly.

Cheryl

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
No the vet handed it to me...Rerun is right I need a way to get the the night....somehow and get to Petsmart tomorrow.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.