German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jake had a rear dew claw removed Monday, the bandage came off Thursday morning and all was well, it was healing and looking good. As of last night it was dry and it really looked like it was healing well. The last two nights he didn't lick or bite at the wound at all. WELL THAT CHANGED! This morning I get up and go to his crate to let him out and he has removed at least two of the stitches and looks as though he has bit the *^%%@$% out of it. In the worst area the skin is laid open, very red and irritated.

This doesn't require an e vet but my question is.......I planned on him going in the morning to have them removed prior to this mornings discovery so I will be bringing him in now to have the vet decide what to do, I don't know if it will need to be butterflied or what....so WHAT DO I DO TONIGHT WHILE HE IS THE THE CRATE AND I CAN'T WATCH HIM? Do I make an attempt to wrap it for the night? Do I wrap it now to prevent debris from entering it because it is so open and raw? I am unsure the best route to take to go through today and the night. He doesn't/hasn't been bothered by it at all until last night, I suppose it is because it was healing and maybe itching?
Any experience on this and suggestions????

· Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, I tried to to wrap it and hope for the best...........I could strangle him as it was doing so good! All I guess I can i is hope my @#%^%& wrap does ok thru the night.... I just am so upset that he ripped it open ! I was hoping to take it to a ShH club on sat to be evaluated but clearly it is going to be a mess.......I think the vet is going o butterfly the worst part and pit a "chew proof bandage"on it and that just impedes healing but a this point we have no choice.........

· Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got back from the vet, the dr in today said that it looked a little infected from Jake chewing it the other night and pulling a few stitches. This dr left the remaining stitches in, put Jake on another week of antibiotics and I had to buy a huge plastic cone. I go back Thursday to have the remaining stitches removed. I 'd like to know how in the world is he going to be able to lay down in his crate tonight and sleep with that thing on? Will he need to wear the cone after Thursday to stop him from licking?

· Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can someone tell me can the cone be floppy? I can't tell if it is too tight or what because he won't move, he won't look at me or even take a treat from my hand. Pitiful!!!!

How do I know it's fitted properly? It is a big plastic one with snaps.

· Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Elaine! It is a big plastic one with snaps, it doesn't attach to a collar. It seems more like a huge disc than a cone. Instant paralysis is right, he won't move, won't walk....etc. LOL! I guess I will remove for a bit through out the day for water and to feed him and potty breaks. It seems about 2ft in diameter.....it's big!

· Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can't chance it at this point. He has already bit a few stitches out when I wasn't looking....he made quite the little mess of this simple surgery.
He is for sure stressed out, so I want to be sure I have it on right...if it's on ok then tough love for him. I just want him to be able to lay down wearing it. He is sitting here crossed eyed fighting sleep because he won't move....

· Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I am going to sleep on the couch downstairs with Jake wearing the cone tethered to me. I am quite sure neither of us will sleep much. I am concerned if he gets really freaked out trying to get him in the crate with this cone that he will associate being crated with scary things....and he goes into his crate soooo well. In hindsight I wish I would have asked more questions to the dr in yesterday because I think I different kind of e collar may have eased the stress, this thing is huge and heavy. I can't find a way to change the shape so it look like a "clown collar". Who knew a simple surgery would turn into such a fiasco! I have allowed him to be with me all day and he hasn't even licked it....he "knows" I am watching that the most frustrating part.

· Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That maybe a lifesaver because I suspect he will fool with this even after the remaining stitches are removed. And another poster suggested spraying with bitter apple or vinegar...

· Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I know, it's not working right, when I took him in after he bit out some stitches the vet in (not the one who did the surgery) came in handed me the cone and another round of antibiotics and told me to come back Thursday to have remaining stitches removed. I am stressed out about this cone thing....he has to wear something at night...HELP

· Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
We are under tornado warnings....really bad weather outside or I would go.....but I think I have to go tomorrow. The trouble with this piece of @#$%$#*&^ cone is you can't vary the adjustment. the snaps have to line up.
Yes, I have vet tape and bandages....I considered wrapping it up for the night also.

· Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I am going to rig it tonight....I feel so bad because he drools and breaths so heavy...and I will stay by his side tonight on the couch. There is no way I can get him in his crate.

· Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
We made through the night, he eventually got exhausted and laid down and slept. I would venture to guess we stirred about two hours...

I made the cone work somehow so he no chances to lick or bite which is so good. This evening is our first night of Intermediate OB and it's an hour drive each way....( NOPE I am not tired) so on my way I am going to stop in Petsmart and see what they have....Jake is to see the vet Thursday to have remaining stitches removed and I am hoping she will HELP me with a better fitting cone, or I will bandage at bedtime as I think he will chew the area until it is completely healed which will be a while. I need him to be crated at night and there is no way in **** he will go to his crate with this thing on....he won't take more then a step!

I was not prepared for such a simple surgery to turn into this.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.