German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jake had a rear dew claw removed Monday, the bandage came off Thursday morning and all was well, it was healing and looking good. As of last night it was dry and it really looked like it was healing well. The last two nights he didn't lick or bite at the wound at all. WELL THAT CHANGED! This morning I get up and go to his crate to let him out and he has removed at least two of the stitches and looks as though he has bit the *^%%@$% out of it. In the worst area the skin is laid open, very red and irritated.

This doesn't require an e vet but my question is.......I planned on him going in the morning to have them removed prior to this mornings discovery so I will be bringing him in now to have the vet decide what to do, I don't know if it will need to be butterflied or what....so WHAT DO I DO TONIGHT WHILE HE IS THE THE CRATE AND I CAN'T WATCH HIM? Do I make an attempt to wrap it for the night? Do I wrap it now to prevent debris from entering it because it is so open and raw? I am unsure the best route to take to go through today and the night. He doesn't/hasn't been bothered by it at all until last night, I suppose it is because it was healing and maybe itching?
Any experience on this and suggestions????

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ok our dog did the same thing. If the area is open get some betadine and irrigate the wound try not to rub it so much. You can put some neosporin on there if you're worried about infection. You should probaly wrap it since its open to keep bacteria out. At tractor stores they sell this stuff called vet wrap its pretty neat and inexpensive to wrap it. Use some regular non stick bandage to cover the wound. Bitter apple spray works great or vinegar to spray on the bandage to keep him away from it. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
If it's open after all this time, they probably aren't going to restitch it. For now, you can put a sock on his leg and use vet wrap to hold it on. You can either use some antiseptic wash or just plain soap and water to clean it out.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
the previous suggestions are great. Also if you're REALLY concerned, you could buy a "cone of shame" and confined him to a bathroom for the night until you take him in. You should have it checked out anyway if he's irratated it.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
One of my dogs did the same thing. I cleaned it, put neosporen on it and a butterfly. Wrapped it and bitter apple the wrap.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, I tried to to wrap it and hope for the best...........I could strangle him as it was doing so good! All I guess I can i is hope my @#%^%& wrap does ok thru the night.... I just am so upset that he ripped it open ! I was hoping to take it to a ShH club on sat to be evaluated but clearly it is going to be a mess.......I think the vet is going o butterfly the worst part and pit a "chew proof bandage"on it and that just impedes healing but a this point we have no choice.........

·
Registered
273 Posts
Putting a cone on him is really the best option when you cannot be there to watch him. My female hat a cyst removed from her tail and got out of her cone when I was at work and chewed the stiches out and bit the end of her tail off. She needed a partial tail amputation. When they get into biting their wounds they can do some serious damage. Make sure the cone is fitted properly. We had to opt for a larger one as she managed to rip the smaller one off.

Good luck

Cheryl

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got back from the vet, the dr in today said that it looked a little infected from Jake chewing it the other night and pulling a few stitches. This dr left the remaining stitches in, put Jake on another week of antibiotics and I had to buy a huge plastic cone. I go back Thursday to have the remaining stitches removed. I 'd like to know how in the world is he going to be able to lay down in his crate tonight and sleep with that thing on? Will he need to wear the cone after Thursday to stop him from licking?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can someone tell me can the cone be floppy? I can't tell if it is too tight or what because he won't move, he won't look at me or even take a treat from my hand. Pitiful!!!!

How do I know it's fitted properly? It is a big plastic one with snaps.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Cones have been know to cause temporary paralysis. LOL! I don't know which style of cone you have, but the one just attaches to the collar and the other should be snug. The important thing is that it's long enough that he can't reach around it. Yes, the panting is from stress. It's ok to sympathize with him, just don't over do it and encourage him that it's a bad thing. It will be hard to eat, drink, and get around, but they do manage eventually.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Elaine! It is a big plastic one with snaps, it doesn't attach to a collar. It seems more like a huge disc than a cone. Instant paralysis is right, he won't move, won't walk....etc. LOL! I guess I will remove for a bit through out the day for water and to feed him and potty breaks. It seems about 2ft in diameter.....it's big!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
IME cones move enough to let dogs lay down. They walk around funny because they can't see, but they can sleep just fine.

For future references; buying dilutable chlorhexidine would be a good idea. We have a spray bottle of it in the dogs' cupboard just in case. Great disinfectant, it's what we use at the vet and shelters.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Poor guy...he looks so completely freaked out! I just want to go and give him a hug! I'm not sure about the cone because ours is completely different, but it looks okay to me....

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
If he really hates it as much as he appears to in the pics (which are hilarious by the way, sorry Jake:)), maybe use it as negative reinforcement?
When you catch him touching the dewclaw, put the cone on... when he calms down, take it off and repeat. He should learn quick that the when he licks the stiches, he gets the cone!
Other than that, someone here came up with a really cool cone alternative, they wrapped a towel really thich around the dog's neck and secured it with (I think) duct tape so the dog couldn't bend its neck.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can't chance it at this point. He has already bit a few stitches out when I wasn't looking....he made quite the little mess of this simple surgery.
He is for sure stressed out, so I want to be sure I have it on right...if it's on ok then tough love for him. I just want him to be able to lay down wearing it. He is sitting here crossed eyed fighting sleep because he won't move....

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.