German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
i need some advice, i have a 7 month old boy. He has been different lately with everyone that has come over to the house (even people that he has known since we have got him.) He has been fine at first when they come over but then he acts like he is mad and snaps a little and bits them with his hair standing up, but not very hard. I don't want to get ride of him but i want this to stop right away, does anyone know how to get this to stop. I know his play biting and this is not it, and he has had all his shots too.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Biting guests is unacceptable regardless if hard or not. You seriously need to get a trainer involved, determine if this fear biting, excitement, lack of socialization etc.

For now, when people come over, have your pup leashed and in your control. Another option is have your pup crated when people come over, when guests have settled and pup is settled, bring him out on leash to greet - at a distance. Guests can toss him treats - as long as he is calm.

Again, get a trainer involved. Make sure they know GSD.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Go to a professional trainer or behaviorist as soon as possible. The earliest this is addressed the more options available. If you start putting him up when people come over, you can possibly escalate the behavior unless the Second part Of Twyla's post is not incorporated. Everyone that visits doesn't want to be part of your behavior mod program....then you have inconsistency built in as sometimes you do this and sometimes you don't. Sounds like some socialization issues maybe, but a good trainer should be able to pinpoint cause and solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know its not right for him to do it at all, i have been putting him up when we have people over. his previous owners did not seem to have him with other dogs and they just did not seem right to me. since we had him we have been moving everywhere and been settling in the past couple months. i have been looking for trainers, but liking on a island is limiting but i have a couple that i am in line to talk to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts