German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl Mila (7 Months) nipped my girlfriend in her chin last night. Really got her good. Shes ok and she understands shes just a puppy but this is getting out of hand. If she nips me while playing, a stern no gets her to stop immediately most times, if she continues though I stop play and she usually gets the idea, but it seems like she has no respect for anyone but me. How do I get her to not nip at others? Anyone have any tips for this behavior would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Chin nips are common and I am curious, can you describe a) how she behaves with your girlfriend normally and b) what exactly was going on when the nip occurred.

·
Super Moderator
5,504 Posts
Yeah my Scarlet is the queen of the chin nips. At 2 and a half, I still have to remind her that a kiss doesn’t involve her teeth.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Yeah my Scarlet is the queen of the chin nips. At 2 and a half, I still have to remind her that a kiss doesn’t involve her teeth.

I have a similar issue with Shadow, but the OP could be dealing with a normal submissive behavior or with just a lack of manners. My approach to correcting it would be slightly different, opinions may vary, since one is a manners issue and one is an instinctual response.
It's a behavior common in young puppies and especially if they were weaned too young.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She usually behaves well with my gf. Its just she nips way more with her and guest. Like my gf was not even playing with her when this last happened. She was acting out shooting a basketball and Mila jumped up and nipped her on the chin. Even with my guest, one of my buddies was petting her while she was in the sit and she tried nipping his face too! I get shes still a pup, hand biting while playing and petting I can deal with, but I feel going at the face is too far, shes already getting huge as it is, I dont want my friends and family to be afraid of her when shes actually such a sweetheart with me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts