German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so ever since I got my puppy at 5 weeks old, he's been biting ANYTHING. Including our hands.
I have 5 other dogs that I've raised from puppys & that I went through the whole teething stage with, but nothing like this. I cant pet him without him mouthing or chewing my hand.

I always interrupt him by loudly & sternly by saying no. And he'll stop. But within seconds, start again. I've rolled him on his back a couple times to let him know im in control and he's shown submission. Also if I have a tasty treat he wont take it outta my hand, he'll snatch it whether he gets my finger or not. And I repeat "Easy" every time I give him a treat and force him to take it slowly. If your laying with him he'll try chewing your arm, leg, hand, foot. Oh and dont get me started on if your wearing sweat pants. He'll latch on to the bottom of your pants if your walking and pull.

Infact.. I have a picture of that lol

I love my puppy, he thinks he's a little tough punk. But the biting needs to be toned down, I dont want that behavior when he gets older.

Is the biting all parts of teething? I've asked this question when I first joined but it hasn't gotten any better. & I just noticed the puppy section on here

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
You have a GSD! And a cute one at that!

They are lil sharks for the most part. I found that playing tug with my pup gave him a release from the constant mouthing, and having his toys all over the place to distract him from us.
When you got him at 5 weeks, he did not learn bite inhibition from his littermates and mother. That would have helped him tremendously to be with them for a few more weeks to learn doggy manners.
Now you have to be the one to deal with it. Do your other dogs correct him when he gets mouthy on them? That may help teach him, but it is normal for pups.
Rolling him on his back will not help, but frustrate him, don't do it.
You want him to form a bond with you, and rolling him will take away his confidence. Treat him fairly. If he gets out of control, put him happily in his crate w/ a chewtoy.
When they are finished teething the urge to constantly bite tends to fade.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:Now you have to deal with it. Do your other dogs correct him when he gets mouthy on them? That may help teach him, but it it normal for pups.
Yeah, he mainly bites with my husky who almost acts motherly to him, but wont tolerate the annoyance. She'll bare her teeth and mouth him and lay down with him while doing this. Sometimes grunting/growling from both of them. But she's never tried actually hurting him. Its nice because it gives me a break from trying to teach him
haha. And we own another GSD too. Never had this problem, but it does make sense because we got our other at around 8 weeks old.

Makes me feel better to know that this behavior is normal at this age.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
They are pretty much little "gators" for a while...just be consistent and keep lots of bandages around! It'll get better...
I like the old switcheroo technique...give me back my fingers and you can have this chewie toy!

·
2,967 Posts
This post has a some good tips for biting...
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubb...rue#Post1318454

Also, I have always noticed a significant decrease after about 6 months when their adult teeth come in.

Consistancy in providing an alternate behavior and non-reward have always worked for me. And get that puppy involved in Schutzhund! That always helped my little monsters...

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Sounds like a good Schutzhund prospect! In the meantime however, you will have to work on the "training" his littermates would have provided had he stayed with them for the normal 8 weeks....you don't say how old he is now (unless I missed something) - but at 7 -8 weeks you can begin obedience training. Sit, stay, and down are all behaviors which can be learned at a very early age, and will engage him mentally, which is what he needs. He will have the attention span of a gnat,but this is the time to start. Enroll him in a puppy training class as soon as it is appropriate. Keep chew toys and puppy tugs available at all times to redirect him if he starts nipping, and yes, a crate is a valuable tool - at any age. Have fun!

Anja GSD
Conor GSD - adopted from this Board
Blue GSD - waiting at the Bridge

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Onyx'Girl is right on all counts. Due to some unfortunate facts I got my girl at 5 weeks old and she was indeed a land shark! Constantly going after anyone and everything in sight, and very dominant. You just have to keep redirecting them, I was constantly carrying toys or treats around with me, she was once even redirected by my older GSD, she went for his legs, he quickly picked up one of her toys laying next to him and shoved it in her face, she took the toy and ran off happy as a clam! Ha! It does tend to wear off as they get done teething, however, my girl is 1 now and I still at times have to do the redirection, but it is not near as bad as when she was a young pup! Just hang in there, it will get better.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Good heavens! Mine was 8 - 9 weeks when I picked her up and was one bitey thing for quite a while. Now when she really needs to go out she gets extra bitey. Attaching a lead to a collar in that situation is a bit tricky, not helped when I get impatient. It seems like when they "change teeth" they get a bit better. Any roughness only exacerbates the biting with mine.
This is my third pup, my 8th dog - each was different but before I got this one I would have thought I could tell you a thing or two.....
It DOES get better. I directed to the lead or a chew toy. The residual on that is that she still wants to whip the lead around. That's fading a bit as we take longer and longer walks.
It DOES get better. I keep repeating that for myself!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Schutzhund? Whats that and how do you get them started? Excuse my blondeness

And he is 6 1/2 weeks old maybe 7 right now. He had his first shots a day after I got him only because I have the 5 other dogs & I didnt want chances of him getting sick. The vet also recommended it.

I'll put up with his tiny tank self. What choice do I have? He may be a brat, but hes MY brat.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
LOL the picture of him biting your pant is too cute!! Mayzie was a horrid alligator up until her puppy teeth fell out (around 4 months). We tried redirecting and tried teaching her 'gentle' and it helped a little bit but the biggest help was having her little shark teeth fall out and getting the big dog teeth!!

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Your pup is absolutely adorable! Your pup is trying to play with you....playing tug is a great release! I would follow Jane's advice, she is pretty spot on. As far as what is Schutzhund....Schutzhund is a sport that includes three areas of training (obedience, tracking, and protection). As far as how to get started, well the first step would be finding a club in your area and checking it out to see if you would be interested in the sport itself.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I don't imagine your other dogs did bite like this! German Shepherd pups are special biting machines. So very normal. They don't grow into biting adults because of this puppy biting stage. All mine were absolute alligators in a cute puppy suit!

Be patient redirect with toys, allow play time outside to sniff and romp, train with treats... all sorts of things to keep pup busy and tired then they will eventually grow up and not bite so. Always have a toy with you. Don't just shove it in the pups mouth though. You have to keep the toy " alive" and active. Training with treats to occupy the mind can be done with small pups too.

Don't encourage biting by rough play where you get the pup jazzed and biting at you. I don't think that you are making this mistake anyway though!

You can't really punish this out of a pup. If you can, I don't really want to think of it! Rolling it over, showing dominance etc are not a part of this. I would never advise or do this. They really don't grow up to be biters because they are biting pups. Patience and slow training will eventually bring them along. Its a stage they almost have to grow out of though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:I would stop with the rolling right now. That is not helping anything.
Of course it helps. Im not necessarily doing it to stop biting. Im doing it to show dominance, and like I stated to show I am in control. You kind of have to show it when you own 6 large dogs. 3 of which live outdoors. They're a pack. They do it to each other, they do it to the puppy. The puppy attempts to do it back.

Im not throwing him to the ground and doing it. Just rolling him on his side.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Originally Posted By: Hoxy
Of course it helps. Im not necessarily doing it to stop biting. Im doing it to show dominance, and like I stated to show I am in control. You kind of have to show it when you own 6 large dogs. 3 of which live outdoors. They're a pack. They do it to each other, they do it to the puppy. The puppy attempts to do it back.

What does it help? Why do you think you need to dominate a puppy? I just don't buy it.

I've been reading Sheila Booth again. Doesn't help your relationship with your dog, doesn't help training. Maybe helps your ego....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally Posted By: middleofnowhere
Originally Posted By: Hoxy

What does it help? Why do you think you need to dominate a puppy? I just don't buy it.

I've been reading Sheila Booth again. Doesn't help your relationship with your dog, doesn't help training. Maybe helps your ego....
It helps greatly. They dont mouth you, they respond and listen to you better if they know that your alpha. Have you ever read up on wolves or dogs before? The leader will always roll the others on their backs to show them their in charge. WE as people need to communicate their ways. Not just ours. Also not just my puppy. I've done it to all my dogs. I've never harmed them. And I honestly could care less what someone in a book has to say. What works for me, works for me. What works for you, Works for you. So no, its not my ego. But thank you for your opinion.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Rolling my dog when he was biting me MADE IT WORSE.
And he doesnt understand it.
If it didnt help the first time, its NOT going to.
You should listen to middleofnowhere & Jason Lin.
The pup doesnt understand that.
It knows your not a dog or its mother....
BTW this behavior will continue for awhile. GIve the pup a toy instead of your hand/pant leg.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts