German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.. so I have my 14 almost 15 week old GS pup! <3 <3 him... we go on walks, he has tons of toys.. ropes, squeaky chew toys, raw hides, soft toys, balls, frisbee, etc.. whenever we go somewhere i'm always bringing him home a new toy usually because he's like our child.. we have a biting problem though.. and its not the usual teething problem.. his teething bite is different than his actual bite..

sometimes if he's doing something he shouldn't or biting us, we have tried everything.. if we screech "ow" he comes at us harder like its a game... if we're firm and say "no!" (and i don't mean a screeching screaming no, but a firm no) he growls and bites. We've tried shaking a bottle with rocks/beans in it with the noise and that worked for about a week, and we've tried ignoring him, etc. but he's so agressive if you tell him no or stop or anything.. any tips/advice on this?

he's in obedience classes.. and the amazing thing is is that he doesn't do this to anyone else except me and my husband.. but maybe thats because we're around him so much..

also when he's biting us we replace "us" with an acceptable toy or toys.. and he chews them for about 5 seconds and then comes back to us.. this is more of his "teething bite"

also, while we're at it.. is there any way to get him to not be so rough with our cat?? i mean he's not so big now, but when he gets bigger in the future the roughness is going to hurt a lot more and isn't going to be so "puppy" but instead dangerous..

·
Registered
6 Posts
lol!! me and my girlfriend are going through the same thing with regards to our 5 month old puppy GSD. We have him in obedience, tried redirecting with toy/treats, time outs (crate), ignoring it, yelling "owww", and walks to ware him down. Nothing seems to work and some times he comes on harder!!! We are at the point were we feel we need a personal trainer to come to our home and maybe help with some coaching on it. He only seems to do it to my girlfriend and I!!! I hope its just a phase and will pass because those teeth are sharp!!! I just want to let you know that you are not the only one!!! I looking for help too!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
LOL. gotta love puppyhood.
the screeching "Ow" would be more like a squeaky toy....your puppies are probably loving it..."ooh, the harder I bite them, the more they squeak!" LOL
use a firm NO. but first I have to say...get those puppies tired! take them outside..
then..puppies go through stages...one is probably teething, so get him something that keeps his attention and that he will want to chew. my dog loved ice cubes!
hamby619 is he play growling? cuz he might be thinking of you more as a playmate then leader. just gotta keep up with corrections...
your 5mnth..well, he is just maturing..testing his boundaries...
both dogs need the firm No. sometimes a poke on the neck. (hard to describe it...use a few fingers...like a claw..but not too hard)
cats..lol. all of my dogs have loved their kitties! my boy (8months now)has been the roughest. I use the "leave it" command with him when he tries to wrestle with the cat...or put his huge paw on their backs.
dont stop trying/training...over time they learn. you just have to be able to teach them what is wrong and whats right...

·
Registered
665 Posts
What is with all the "biting" threads today?? Funny how these things seem to go in cycles. Some days it's raw feeding threads, somedays Schutzhund "how to" threads, and other days "land shark" threads.

Makes me wonder what they get on the toy poodle boards:

Best shades of toenail polish
Creme rinses that won't make my curls droop
Ribbons--the "must-have" accessory, or simply gauche?

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is something that could potentially become a problem and I'll be honest, every puppy is going to react differently to training. You have to find a method that works for you, but what it sounds like to me is trust issues. That and the pup is trying to show you who's boss.

I've been having the same problems that I'm fixing in a few different ways:

I get up in the morning and I hand feed my pup. You want your dog to feel comfortable with your hands in their dish. This way you wont have problems with your adult GSD growling when kids or other dogs invade its eating space. I also make a habit of petting my puppy and talking to her when she eats. Everything in your house belongs to you and you have to let your pup know it. food included. Don't just do this with food. Get your pup a nice meaty bone from a local butcher shop and practice taking the bone away at random times. Stop any growling and reward the pup with the bone again once they are sitting calmly for it.

Another big tactic I've used to get my pup to trust me is rubbing her belly. I know it sounds simple, but with those sharp puppy teeth, its not. Don't force the pup on it back like an 'alpha roll', instead catch the pup when their laying down. Wave a toy in front of the pup to gain their attention and get them to chew on the toy, not your hands while you slowly push them onto their back and give that tummy a good scratch. Praise them in a soft voice, not high pitch to get them too worked up. A dog on their side or back is showing submission and trust to you and the biting will stop as the trust is gained. This could take a few tries, but stick with it.

I would also suggest making your pup sit down and calm down before they are allowed outside or even back into the house. Always exit or enter before your dog to show them dominance order. I know its hard for a puppy to 'calm' with the reward being a nice stroll outside, but work on it. If it takes 15 minutes for the pup to sit so you can go out first, then take that time.

Once your puppy is okay with their belly being scratched and NOT biting you, try getting down to their level to play. And play like another dog would. Push your hip gently into theirs, rub their head down. Encourage the gentle bites with a soft voice and hopefully the pup will get the picture with your cats.

These techniques have really worked with my 4 month old. I hope they will be of help to you too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for these ideas.. and luckily I've been doing these without even realizing it.. He absolutely loves his belly rubbed (he gets that back leg just going when you're doing it) he also loves a gentle rub/scratch on his chest and his back.. and luckily he isn't food agressive at all he even lets the cat eat out of the bowl with him he never growls at that.. we just have the problem with him growling at us.. i hope he trusts us.. i guess ill have to do some of the other things because i know they're a dominant breed... today I actually sat in the floor and he loves coming over and crawling on my lap.. but when he started to bite my hands i gave him his toys and when he started to bite my hands again i took them completely away from him and left them firmly on my lap and wouldn't let him pick them up to bite them and when he got the picture he started licking them.. ahh such unique personalities....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts