German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy jumps on my couch and bites still, usually only in the morning but also when she gets worked up. We’ve been told that jumping on the couch may be a dominance issue, is this true? I’ve been pulling her off the couch and saying “off”, is this enough? And when she mouths I hold her mouth shut until she shows annoyance, I have read this is a good way for her to associate biting with an unpleasant experience, is this right. I would love to here your opinions and soon, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Our 5 month old boy has lately been testing the boundary by continuing to jump up on the couch / bed / etc. that he knows is wrong. I would definitely say this could be testing the boundary depending on the age.

The best way to deal with biting is to give them a toy to redirect biting but sometimes it is necessary to do as you are doing.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You say ‘still’, has she ever learned to not bite the couch or get on the couch? If she hasn't learned, I would be hesitant to call this a teenage issue.
After biting the couch or jumping on the couch, do you give her the proper place to redirect that behavior?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How old is your puppy? No it's not a dominance issue.
She is five and a half months old. And thanks for confirming that it’s not a dominance issue.
After biting the couch or jumping on the couch, do you give her the proper place to redirect that behavior?
I give her a toy. And she’s biting me, not the couch, thanks though.

·
Super Moderator
4,680 Posts
It took my big-boy a year to get couch privileges. When he was up there he wanted to wrestle and bite and rough house. We don't allow it. Furniture is for quiet time. Basically we just told him to get down off the couch if he acted up. With maturity he learned the right times and places for bitey games and roughhousing.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I give her a toy. And she’s biting me, not the couch, thanks though.
Oops. For biting hands I did a few things.
-Provide a toy to redirect. If that toy moves like prey, short quick moves then it should get her attention. I had a toy in my back pocket for at least a month.
-roll her lip over your finger so in order to bite you, she has to bite herself too
-hand feed some of her meals and don’t give her the food unless she’s licking or at least using a soft mouth

My pup is allowed on the couch, so I’m no help there.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
It took my big-boy a year to get couch privileges. When he was up there he wanted to wrestle and bite and rough house. We don't allow it. Furniture is for quiet time. Basically we just told him to get down off the couch if he acted up. With maturity he learned the right times and places for bitey games and roughhousing.
Well you're no fun. Lol.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Keeping dogs off of furniture is very similar potty training. It's all about paying 100% attention to them when they are out of the crate. If they never are allowed to get up on the couch, they stop trying in short order. Whenever my pup would try he would be intercepted, told uh-uh, then put in a sit or a down. When very young (like 8-12 weeks) I would often put him on leash and give him a bully stick and teach him to settle on the floor near the couch.

He is now 9 months old and shows no interest in getting up on the couch. Prevention is always easier than remediation.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If they never are allowed to get up on the couch, they stop trying in short order.
I agree that is most effective.

My pup came into my home at 4 months thinking that couches were meant to be used as a banked curve so he could zoom around the room faster. I had my hands full with other puppy issues.

I put the chairs on the coach to control his environment rather than control him. Since that first night, he has never been on a piece of furniture except for my bed.... with permission. As he gets older and has more self control the chairs will come down and he will learn to use impulse control to stay off the couch.

At least that is the theory.

I also moved a long, low coffee table in front of the sliding glass patio door. At first, he liked to stand and bark out that door. Putting a long low table in front of the window means he has to scooch under the 18-inch high table to look out. He hasn't figured out how to bark while laying down. :)

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I don’t like dogs on couches, but... my dog had very painful pano for 18 months. The only time he relaxed and didn’t cry in pain when he was on the couch. It hurt him to jump back down, so I began leaving him there. After a while, he looked so peaceful on the cushion with his head on the arm that I gave him his own spot. He is only allowed on the one side. When I have company, he has to share.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts