German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 month old gsd female is biting us alot i m not sure how to deal with it. we tell her no or tap her nose but she just keeps going. any suggestions thanks

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
This is very common for a GSD pup to nip. Plus she's teething, so i'm sure her teeth hurt her and that's part of the issue too.

The best thing you can do is redirect and never allow her to bite. When she goes to nip, just give her a toy and praise her when she starts playing with the toy instead of your hands or clothes. Be as consistent with this as you can. Eventually, she'll get it and improve over time. The trick is to redirect her from something she shouldn't be biting (your hand) to something that's ok to bite (her toy).

Oh and forget the tapping on the nose thing. That's never going to work, if anything it's going to make things worst. All puppies want to do is play and a hand tapping them on the nose is an invitation to play. It really doesn't accomplish anything.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Every time you discipline your puppy by flicking or touching her, she simply confuses it with play and interaction. What you can do is have her on lead. Whenever she tries to nip at you, simply give a quick snap correction and then give her a chewing toy in replacement. She will start to soon realize that biting leads to a correction and when she is chewing on her toy or bones, she is not corrected. It will take time, trust me! I also have a young puppy and the chewing and biting can drive you INSANE, but have patience and you will see progress with time. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Chance was HORRIBLE for the first four months. Tore up my pants, bit me on the arms, ankles and hands. Teething was a part of it, but since it was just the two of us, he was trying for dominance. I went to a trainer. Helped an awful lot. I actually needed some help in how I was reacting to his bad behavior. Even though he was not my first GSD puppy, he is the first that I was raising totally on my own without anyone in my life to help.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Yeah, the pop on the nose thing won't work and like everyone says, it just excites and encourages more biting. Here's the thing, they bite like mad for the fist few months and now that yours is approaching 5 mos, the teething has probably started. I swear I have pants and shirts with bites all over them from those days. Try redirecting her, giving her bully sticks to chew, put a knot in a small towel then wet it and freeze it. I gave mine frozen whole carrots because they fit all the hard to reach places. Play tug with a rope toy. Really the only thing you can do is wait it out, it's completely normal and we've all been through it. The thread that was posted is great. Right now just be patient, it's a stage she has to go through

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 8 week old GSD. I never popped him in the nose or anything like that but I just say "ouch" like the biting inhibition thred says and it doesnt seem to work very well. I notice he bites alot when the kids are around and when he starts chasing at the kids and biting them, I have to throw him in his crate. It eases my mind that I am not the only one having the same problem. I thought it was cause I was a really bad trainer.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i think Shasta is the only GSD pup ever that popping on the nose actually helped with her not biting. The fact your pup is at the teething stage has a great deal to do with it. A sharp NO and giving an appropriate chew toy such as a bone or kong can help. Redirect to positive things. Shasta also has two other dogs to chew on lol so we also have an easier pup to deal with. training and redirecting will help. also once the adult teeth come in it'll be so much easier.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My puppy bites A LOT in the morning. If we give him a toy he'll bite that instead. It's harder for my 8 yr old daughter. She has more trouble getting away from him and getting a toy. He also likes to grab her hair and pull it, and she can't get it out of his mouth. Thank goodness the rest of the day is better. Hope it last.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
EXERCISE, real EXERCISE and socialization outside of the home yard was alway the biggest help for my pups.

Great time to start up the puppy classes to help with that also.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I know some may think this is cruel but finger down the throat (and a strong "NO!") till they gag then I give him something he can bite/chew on. He takes that item and plays with it. Had a trainer tell me to do it. Wasn't sure about it at first but after a few times my lil dude understood that my fingers are off limits.

I stick my finger down his throat and then give him a toy (old sock or toy) and he takes it and sinks his teeth in it rather than me. When I first did it he would gag and then come sniff an lick my fingers and try again. (Yeah I think he is into S&M)

2 weeks and it has pretty much stopped. He knows he can play tug with me, use flirt pole and other toys. I also give him TONS of bones (pork neck bones and all other types of real bones) so he knows these things are cool to chew. Just my fingers are a no no. He is 11 weeks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcom to GSD land! We went through the same thing, she still acts up, but a 7 months old, things are starting to finally settle down. Be patient, give lots of love (even though you may want to kill her) and enroll in puppy classes ASAP (not at the pet store, find a real trainer), exersize often and in a few weeks you will start to see better results.

·
Super Moderator
32,430 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 8 week old GSD. I never popped him in the nose or anything like that but I just say "ouch" like the biting inhibition thred says and it doesnt seem to work very well.
Are you just saying ouch, or are you shrieking it in a loud shrill voice? It should be loud and sharp enough to startle the puppy, which will often cause them to stop what they're doing, and then you can praise him for not biting at that exact moment. This does not work perfectly with all puppies, which is why there are a lot of other techniques in that thread to try too. For me, it worked much better with Keefer than with Dena, so with her I made sure that I ALWAYS had a toy handy to shove in her mouth when she was in a biting mood. And then I'd praise her for biting the toy instead of me.

It's a process that takes some time, an 8 week old puppy isn't going to magically get it overnight - it can take weeks or months of patient persistence. In the meantime, be sure and recognize and reward those times when he's NOT biting rather than just reacting when he does bite.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I am with MRL up the exercise! It really helped a lot when I was going through that stage with Jake....it was unreal how many pants legs he ripped! I spent a lot of time training him on a leash and he really wanted to "herd" me! I found that running him around first took the edge off. I also read putting a tad a butter on your hands can teach them to lick rather then bite, I didn't try it but maybe others have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are you just saying ouch, or are you shrieking it in a loud shrill voice? It should be loud and sharp enough to startle the puppy, which will often cause them to stop what they're doing, and then you can praise him for not biting at that exact moment. This does not work perfectly with all puppies, which is why there are a lot of other techniques in that thread to try too. For me, it worked much better with Keefer than with Dena, so with her I made sure that I ALWAYS had a toy handy to shove in her mouth when she was in a biting mood. And then I'd praise her for biting the toy instead of me.

It's a process that takes some time, an 8 week old puppy isn't going to magically get it overnight - it can take weeks or months of patient persistence. In the meantime, be sure and recognize and reward those times when he's NOT biting rather than just reacting when he does bite.
Oh yes I have shrieked it and he does not stop but just looks at me briefly and carries on biting. Although this morning he was doing alot better and did less biting. I just added a little more animation to my motions and facial expression. Seems to work a bit better but when I was done playing both of my forearms were all scratched up and had bite marks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
We are teaching Jordan "Gentle" which normally (unless she is very very hyper) makes her stop and lick -- basically whenever she licks a hand I say "gentle" then overly praise - it tooks her only a few times to realize that when her mouth is on my hand or foot and I say "gentle!!" I want her to lick and not bite. If she doesn't listen to "Gentle" I remove my hand and put a rope toy in her mouth.... when she bites down on the toy I praise and pet. If she goes back to my hand I remove it and show her the toy again. She is getting pretty good!

·
Registered
936 Posts
doggydaycare=tired puppy=less nipping that is more easily correctable cause he so dang tired at end of day.

I think he is starting to forget to nip :)

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have to share what just happened with Remington, lol:

He is super mouthy lately, and I have tried everything mentioned on these forums - I have a million toys and bully sticks in every room (I'm half tempted to make a bully stick tool belt) and I shove them in his mouth when he bites, doesn't work. I play with him A LOT, and he plays with my Pomeranian, but he's still biting and nipping at my heels.

Screeching, yelping, whining and saying "no" is ineffective. So just now when he was at it again, I thought I'd experiment. I firmly said, "nein!" and he LET GO, stared at me apologetically, and then licked the spot he bit. This was like 5 mins. ago and he hasn't bitten since!

I'm pretty sure the breeder never did any training with her pups, or used German commands, etc... so it was kinda freaky but hey, whatever works! Just try using their language, lol!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Somebody mentioned that they're begining to cool down with the biting at around 7th month? Is that about right?
Bella is almost 6 months now and has all of her adult teeth but she still bites, a lot harder now but less frequently and only hands and knees, she's pretty much done with the ankles. This pretty much happens only when I try to pet her, I'm not sure if she thinks I want to play with her or what the deal is?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have to share what just happened with Remington, lol:

He is super mouthy lately, and I have tried everything mentioned on these forums - I have a million toys and bully sticks in every room (I'm half tempted to make a bully stick tool belt) and I shove them in his mouth when he bites, doesn't work. I play with him A LOT, and he plays with my Pomeranian, but he's still biting and nipping at my heels.

Screeching, yelping, whining and saying "no" is ineffective. So just now when he was at it again, I thought I'd experiment. I firmly said, "nein!" and he LET GO, stared at me apologetically, and then licked the spot he bit. This was like 5 mins. ago and he hasn't bitten since!

I'm pretty sure the breeder never did any training with her pups, or used German commands, etc... so it was kinda freaky but hey, whatever works! Just try using their language, lol!
I'm sure the German "Nein" sounded harsh and that's what stopped the puppy or startled him.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts