German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is 12 weeks old. He is an extremely intelligent dog. He's already mastered several commands and he hasn't had an accident in the house in a week (knock on wood). And that's with constant diarrhea that is currently being treated by a vet. Every morning around 8 am (right after he eats) he gets extremely aggressive. He's biting hard enough that it actually has broken the skin twice. I've tried all the suggestions. Ignore him, redirect, yelping like a puppy, yelling no, etc. nothing is working. He gets more aggressive with my older dog as well. Usually he just follows her around, but in the morning he tries to play rough with her. That might be okay with other dogs, but she's a 9 year old chihuahua. Not exactly GSD friendly. This only happens in the morning. Any suggestions?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I'm sure I posted the same question when I first got Dexter lol. He was my first gsd and I wasn't used to how rough they play and how much they bite. Then I realized and read here that its normal for them. My puppy has always been extra active in the morning. He still plays rough with my maltipoo but has since learned bite control. I usually play with him in the morning and take him for a quick walk to help calm him down.

Just keep doing what your doing and know that he is not being aggressive, this is how these little buggers play. At least until they get older. ( mine was around 5 months when he didnt bite so much) Good luck:)

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
You are experiencing puppy "zoomies", only at this age they explore more with their mouths than by running around. It is in absolutely no way aggressive, it's play and exploration and a lack of impulse control. Honestly, there is no quick fix for it-- just patience and consistency with the things you have been doing (redirecting, yelping, etc)... it is a stage, and he will eventually grow out of it. If he gets VERY ramped up, put him in his crate. NOT as a punishment, at all, just as sort of a "quiet time reset." Try putting him in with a kong full of peanut butter or something of that sort to calm him down and keep him occupied by himself for a few minutes. Good luck, and try as hard as you can to enjoy everything else about the puppy stage while you can :)

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
The biting isn't aggression it is prey drive. Keep the chihuahua separated from the little guy. He's old and small, give him a break.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
His new teeth feel itchy, how many milky teeth has he lost so far? Provide him with puppy chewable toys, sure, the guys in your local pet store will show you plenty. Introduce him to raw beef bones, big ones he cannot chew a bit off. Prepare to protect your small dog next 3 months at least. Put his matt above the reach of your puppy and divert his attention with a ball every time he put his teeth in him.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I feel like my pup is a bit behind, because he only started having the "zoomies" when he was around 5 or 6 months, and he wasn't really biting until then either. I came here wanting to see what to do about his biting, but now I think its just him being over-active (well, to a human anyway). He doesn't really ever bite me unless he is in this mode. Does the "zoomies" ever stop? He will occasionally have an attack outside, which is fine by me; but more often than not he will save it for indoors and that's not okay because he could get seriously hurt.

·
Registered
308 Posts
More exercise! Much more exercise! Wear that puppy out - I read so much about over-exercising their joints that I didn't walk my pup long enough to actually tire her out. She was still a spazzy puppy at times, but much less bitey and obnoxious. Good luck

·
Registered
98 Posts
With my pup I noticed it was lack of sleep that made her tazzy and wild. I would place her in crate where she would pass out for 1/2 to an hour and then come out like a normal happy puppy. She especially wanted a nap right after bkfst. Just a thought., they really do need a lot of sleep. And can get a little loopy if they don't get enough.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts