German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been doing minor protection training with my 2 dogs for several months now. They will bark and bite on command + basic obedience and some shutzhund commands. I know it's not advisable to do protection training without a professional trainer but I'm just doing basics for my own protection. They know commands in both german and english, and have very level headed and confident temperaments/personalities. I'm only making this thread to get recommendations for bite sleeves, so I'd like to avoid any discussion about why I should hire a professional trainer if possible. I'd like to spend under $200 if possible. I've looked on Amazon and Ebay, and all that I've found on either site in my price range are meant for much smaller dogs. My dogs are both over 100lbs.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I think itd be a better idea to buy a bite wedge to work on grip. You also can work them in prey easier.
Aside from teaching your dog that it's ok to bite you, you also are teaching your dog to focus on the equipment (for obvious reasons). Which defeats the purpose of protection training. Finding a helper is important.
That being said, there are used sleeves for sale all the time on fb working dog equipment groups.

Edit: listen to @Steve Strom hes been doing this a lot longer. Like since I was 2. Hes old. Kidding.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
The vast majority of IPO dogs are equipment oriented. Mine thinks the helper is her best friend, because she has so much fun chasing after him and trying to get the sleeve away from him. I wouldn't worry at all about your dog being focused on the equipment, unless you are trying to turn it into a personal protection dog.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The vast majority of IPO dogs are equipment oriented. Mine thinks the helper is her best friend, because she has so much fun chasing after him and trying to get the sleeve away from him. I wouldn't worry at all about your dog being focused on the equipment, unless you are trying to turn it into a personal protection dog.
I'll be living in a van and traveling with my dogs all of next year, so it's more of a need of protection in that regard. We'll be in places I've never been around people I don't know frequently, so I want them to be capable of doing everything on command in a dangerous situation as well as me having full control of them if they react and I don't need or want them to, if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
31,813 Posts
I'll be living in a van and traveling with my dogs all of next year, so it's more of a need of protection in that regard. We'll be in places I've never been around people I don't know frequently, so I want them to be capable of doing everything on command in a dangerous situation as well as me having full control of them if they react and I don't need or want them to, if that makes any sense.

Then you should stop at clubs and train. Lots of good helpers along those highways.

You doing it yourself is not going to protect you in a dangerous situation. save your money. Buy a gun.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Hey all,

I've been doing minor protection training with my 2 dogs for several months now. They will bark and bite on command + basic obedience and some shutzhund commands. I know it's not advisable to do protection training without a professional trainer but I'm just doing basics for my own protection. They know commands in both german and english, and have very level headed and confident temperaments/personalities. I'm only making this thread to get recommendations for bite sleeves, so I'd like to avoid any discussion about why I should hire a professional trainer if possible. I'd like to spend under $200 if possible. I've looked on Amazon and Ebay, and all that I've found on either site in my price range are meant for much smaller dogs. My dogs are both over 100lbs.

My personal favorite all around sleeve is this one. It does require a seperate cover. https://www.rayallen.com/bite-bar-hard-sleeve

Now to answer the part you didn't want answered lol. For real personal protection, not only is the dog itself critical, but how it's being worked. As a owner/handler, you can't really tap into that part of the dog. At least without conflict. Not to mention, I don't wan't my dogs thinking it's ok to bite me. To add to this, as the owner/handler, there is a level of comfort with the dogs. So when in a high stress situation, where real pressure and nerves are tested, you have no clue how the dogs will really react. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've been looking into this too... problem is the commands. I don't have any bite sleeves or anything, but I do have a jute he uses to bite. I'm the one who usually holds it and will tell him "get it". He'll come running and bite it and we'll tug. Problem is, he's so used to me telling him to get what "I" have, I had my wife hold the jute tug and said get it, and he looked at me all confused going "but you don't have anything"? lol.

Helper is really important. That being said, amazon had this which I was interested in...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ITEIUB...olid=20QC1ST5KK39D&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts