German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an invisible fence, mostly for the 2 daschunds we have and with our 2 year old Bodie, we had an “incident “ a couple of days ago. Bodie bolted around the back of our house greeting the Amazon guy with several punctures to his calf and thigh. It could have been much worse! After all the commotion died down (EMS, animal control and police) I have decided to get a real fence. My question is how high, Bodie is not a jumper, in fact when this incident happened he did not breach the invisible fence at all. I have since been informed that an invisible fence is not “ legal “. So, there you are! The irony is that the Amazon delivery was his dog food!! Any comments welcome, we are now 10 days quarantine at home, getting a trainer and a very pricey fence, never been so traumatized but know Bodie Was only doing what he’s programmed to do

·
Super Moderator
6,449 Posts
I would go with a six foot fence.A gsd can easily clear a four foot fence even without much of a running start.

·
Registered
137 Posts
What an ordeal. I hope everything goes as well as can be expected. We’ve always had a 6’ fence and never had any problems.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
IMO a dog is not programmed to bite someone coming to the door of property, where is the threat?
Some dogs are sharper than others etc. which is why it’s so important that we know what our dogs are and how they react to different situations. I’m very happy you’ve enlisted the help of a trainer, I do hope it’s someone who really knows what they are doing for both your sake and the dog. These days, it can be really difficult to to get house insurance after being sued.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Just FYI, people have no problem opening a gate and walking in. Even if they know there are german shepherds about.

People also have no problem reaching their hands through wire fencing even towards German shepherds who are barking aggressively.

So...in your case...you know your dog will really bite. You might want to invest in 6' high stockade fencing with locking gates and make a drop box or drop location obvious and known to delivery people outside the fence.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your suggestions, I’m truly in the belief that Bodie was only doing what is in his dna, that being said I still need to keep him in check, I’ve had pugs, pound puppies, whippets, rescued greyhounds, Italian greyhounds, and daschunds. It’s been a learning experience for sure!

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
6' high privacy fence -- solid fencing with no spaces, buried 6" or so into the earth. Put a padlock on the gate so that no one can enter without permission.

You are also likely going to need to look into buying a separate canine liability policy -- your homeowners is going to either cancel you, or remove the dog from the policy, after a bite like this (and not telling them probably isn't an option, as in many states in can create a right of rescission for the insurer to cancel you in the future after a loss of any kind, like your house burning down, unrelated to the dog--your agent will be able to explain whether that's a concern for you). A friend whose mutt bit someone out on a walk could not find another homeowners carrier that would cover her dog -- she has to insure without the dogs being covered, and pay for a fairly expensive surplus lines policy for the dog with the bite record. @kr16 may be able to chime in to explain that better.

If you feel traumatized, think about the Amazon guy who is working for peanuts as a gig worker lugging your heavy dog food, without employer-provided health insurance or sick time, and likely unable to work for a while. Bite wounds in a muscle like that are very painful and can take a long time to heal.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I hope to never go through such an ordeal. We have a 6 ft. wood privacy fence around side and back yards. Gate has no handle on the outside. It is locked with a padlock from the inside so anyone unauthorized in our yard would have had to consciously climb over a 6 ft wood fence. Even when the lawn crew comes the dog is inside. I unlock the gate and throw the pull cord we attached to the inside latch over the fence for them to gain access. When they leave we pull the cord back over to the inside, replace the rods in the ground and padlock the gate. We don't let the dog out in the front yard unless one of us is with the dog.
I would definitely go with a 6 ft wood fence.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Don't know what company your home owners insurance is and/or if you let them know you have a GSD. You may find out you are not covered for liability of the bite. If your insurance company refuses the claim due an aggressive breed restriction you could be in for the huge realization that you are on the hook for medical bills, loss of income and other damages. I suggest to be prepared you look for a good lawyer just in case.
Also I would not post any more details about this incident on this site or anywhere on the internet as it is public and any postings by you can be used in any court proceedings. I'm sorry and good luck going forward.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your suggestions, I’ll take it all into consideration! I appreciate you feedback! Bodie has been nothing but a blessing to our household, we keep chickens and bees. We are fortunate enough to have very supportive neighbors. As Robert frost said “good fences make good neighbors “

·
Registered
143 Posts
all dogs bite. I have been bitten many times in my life, if I am in THEIR yard and get bitten, as long as the dog has it's shots up to date I get over it and just deal with it-I wont be a wussy like today's younger people and report it no matter what because I know they will most likely kill the poor dog just for doing what is natural to dogs. Horse bites are worst but no one is going to put down a horse just for biting-ALL DOGS BITE

·
Registered
138 Posts
YIKES! That's unfortunate.

Now that all parcels have to be scanned deliver guys are on the clock so they have to move fast.

As far as the fence goes is there another option ...like a tree cabal run out the back door away from your delivery/stranger at the door zone.

·
Registered
264 Posts
So sorry to hear this but glad everyone is going to be okay. I'll just echo Magwarts and Springbrz with the 6 foot wooden stockade buried a little, no spaces for dog noses or kid fingers to stick through, either a pad lock and/or dropping wooden block on the inside to prevent opening (and for dog that slams into gate). We don't have an outside handle either and also have a raising metal rod for each gate door that goes into metal tube or brick at the bottom. I have a sign that says "Be Aware. The dogs are. Do not open gate." No mention of aggression or biting risk under advisement from lawyer. Not sure if you may need to adapt this due to documented bite history to say something like "Do not enter yard/open gate. Dog may/will bite" to lessen future liability. I would check on this if you have not been advised. Also make sure you don't have anything near the fence to help him clear the fence (ex. firewood or lawn furniture).

Reactions: theresagsd

·
Registered
7,607 Posts
I hope anyone who reads your thread and has a breed with known aggression who has considered invisible fencing to scrap the idea entirely. You may have just prevented unknown future minor or major occurrences with this thread.

There was a severe mauling of a ups woman by three German shepherds. Due to the severity of the attack and the dogs had serious past complaints. All 3 dogs were euthanized. The owner though was not held liable as the attack happened on his property using the invisible fence. He did have signs on his property. So I wonder if the invisible fence is legal in some states or if that law changed after this incident.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
All dogs do not bite. There’s a lame PSEUDO SWEARING REMOVED BY MOD. response. 🙄

I’ve had female GSD’s as gentle as sheep, with tons of people in my home, under stressful situations. Never so much as a growl.

Any healthy, physically talented GSD can clear a 6’ fence. Mine can jump onto my raised 5’ deck from a sitting position. However, you gotta start somewhere, so a six foot solid wood fence would be it.

Just be prepared for excessive barking. When they can’t see out, the barking elevates, as their protective instinct kicks in harder, because they can smell and hear visitors, but can see. Been there.

We have UPS and Amazon deliveries every day with a 5’ steel rail fence, with bars about 4” apart. My three GSD’s can see through every part of my fence. I like that. You can see it clearly in my Avatar.

My dogs don’t jump it, because they don’t think about jumping it. They’re never outside if no one is home, by the way!

I know and have spoken to all delivery drivers. They can leave the parcels wherever they feel safe. Doesn’t have to be my front door.

The UPS app even texts and emails when your delivery has been dropped, so that helps, too.

Bottom line - 6’ fence and heightened management on your behalf about when deliveries are coming and where your dog will be at the time.

I just wouldn’t consider the problem handled, by adding the six foot fence. Still gotta be largely diligent.

Best of luck to you and Bodie!

·
Super Moderator
2,578 Posts
Until you've finalized your fencing, training, and confirmed your insurance status, I'd suggest getting a PO box and/or have your packages delivered to either your place of work (if you can) or a friend or relative in town.

Give yourself time to get absolutely everything in order before any delivery driver comes to your home again.

·
Super Moderator
4,859 Posts
Until you've finalized your fencing, training, and confirmed your insurance status, I'd suggest getting a PO box and/or have your packages delivered to either your place of work (if you can) or a friend or relative in town.

Give yourself time to get absolutely everything in order before any delivery driver comes to your home again.
We have a 5 ft fence around our yard and signs that state, keep the gate closed, there are dogs in the yard. You've gotten plenty of good advice about fences and insurance etc. No deliveries come through our gate and onto the property. We have a storage box for parcels outside of the gate. Any services or repairmen or new guests are instructed to call at the gate and we will open and close it. It is for their protection as well as ours, we can never say "oh you forgot to close the gate securely" because we insist on doing it ourselves. I know that some companies are considering offering lock boxes for deliveries.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts