German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help:What is it about Bison compared to beef or even chicken that could make poop perfect? I found some bison bones for my dogs and their poop yesterday and today is perfect:) I know bison has less fat so maybe the fat content? Does anyone know if I pick up some bison meat if that would do the same thing as the bison bone for the poop? IMO there was a lot of fat on the bone and I did trim them, but they still had plenty of whatever it was and it really did make the poop better almost immediately:confused::help:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I think it must be the fat content. Having never seen perfect poop, I have no idea if it is the bison. Where do you get it?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think it must be the fat content. Having never seen perfect poop, I have no idea if it is the bison. Where do you get it?

I got the bones at a speciality doggy store, but I can get the bison ground meat at the local grocery store. Now I just need to figure out if it was the bone or the bison meat that was on the bone...I'm leaning toward the meat, because they had a beef bone last week and it did not have the same effect on their poop. Their poop isn't that bad, but I would like it more like it was the last couple days.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I would bet on the meat. Chemically or anatomically there is no real difference in bone of cow, dog, human, etc.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Bison is lower in fat (and calories) but higher in protein than chicken or beef... maybe that's why? I feed Echo a bison LID kibble that he's been doing much better with digestively.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bison is lower in fat (and calories) but higher in protein than chicken or beef... maybe that's why? I feed Echo a bison LID kibble that he's been doing much better with digestively.
I was trying to pinpoint the issue fat or protein, because I felt that 2 out of three have an issue with the same thing..honestly I was thinking it was protein, but maybe its the fat. Is the one you feed with sweet potato? What else would be higher in protein and lower in fat? I feed Fromm Adult Gold. I tried the duck and sweet potato, but I didn't give it enough of a chance because I didn't want any more bad poop.:crazy:

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would bet on the meat. Chemically or anatomically there is no real difference in bone of cow, dog, human, etc.

I am going to stop and get some bison meat and see what it does. The white part of the poop is from the bone, yes?

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I was trying to pinpoint the issue fat or protein, because I felt that 2 out of three have an issue with the same thing..honestly I was thinking it was protein, but maybe its the fat. Is the one you feed with sweet potato? What else would be higher in protein and lower in fat? I feed Fromm Adult Gold. I tried the duck and sweet potato, but I didn't give it enough of a chance because I didn't want any more bad poop.:crazy:
I'm actually giving him TOTW's bison food right now... prior to that he was on a duck and sweet potato from Pinnacle, but he had problems with it... I think it may have been too fatty (he's also allergic to a lot of the more "common" protein sources). I'm not sure what else would be higher protein... hmm...

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
bison is beef.
Bison is not beef. Entirely different animal. Bison, is well...a bison. Buffalo. Beef is a cow. It just happens to also be red meat.

We lived next to a bison farm in CT-- the owner would get SO mad when people said it was beef.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bison is not beef. Entirely different animal. Bison, is well...a bison. Buffalo. Beef is a cow. It just happens to also be red meat.

We lived next to a bison farm in CT-- the owner would get SO mad when people said it was beef.
From what I understand not only is not beef but its a lot healthier then beef..well for people anyway:)

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
you guys get roo meat in the states? - highest protein red meat i believe and 100% hormone/antibiotic....free.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
dogs eat it raw???, you cook dog beef? - i believe city folks eat it in classy restaurants cooked i presume, at 5 times the price of premium beef - city folks are stupid.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
you guys get roo meat in the states? - highest protein red meat i believe and 100% hormone/antibiotic....free.
For people? Generally no... though I'm sure they have it in the big cities, haha.

There is kangaroo kibble though which I've heard rave success stories from people with allergy-ridden dogs, so I've been very tempted to give it a try. I've never, ever seen kangaroo meat in a market, even some of the larger specialty meat shops I've been to both here and out west, so I don't imaging too many people feed it raw. I live in New England though, it could be different down south, where there tends to be more "unique meat" farms for ostrich, gator, etc. Up here, bison is hormone and antibiotic free as well-- it's not farmed en-masse, and they're 100% grass fed, so it's a pretty good alternative.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
if you do give it a try you will prolly have to add another source of fat as roo meat is very lean - not sure about the allegry aspect unless it is due to the chemical free nature of a wild animal as oppossed to a farm bred animal. the high protein can make a dog more itchy in some dogs. something to be aware of.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
dogs eat it raw???, you cook dog beef? - i believe city folks eat it in classy restaurants cooked i presume, at 5 times the price of premium beef - city folks are stupid.
Oh gosh no, I don't cook their beef, lol! Mine eat raw.

I was asking about for humans ;)

City folks are just city folks... Not stupid, just not like you.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
if you do give it a try you will prolly have to add another source of fat as roo meat is very lean - not sure about the allegry aspect unless it is due to the chemical free nature of a wild animal as oppossed to a farm bred animal. the high protein can make a dog more itchy in some dogs. something to be aware of.
That's good to know, thanks! I'm not sure if it's the chemical free, or because it's such a novel protein source-- probably both. He's very allergic to the more common proteins- chicken, beef, lamb, salmon.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts