German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received this email from the ASPCA, thought I would share.

Dear Animal Advocates,
There is a giant loophole in U.S. law concerning the federal oversight of large-scale commercial dog breeders (commonly known as puppy mills). Currently, breeders who sell to puppy brokers and pet stores have to be licensed by the USDA, while those who sell puppies directly to the public do not.
However, a new bill before the U.S. House of Representatives, the Puppy Uniform Protection and Safety (PUPS) Act, will bring all commercial dog breeders in the United States under federal oversight by requiring any breeder who sells or offers to sell more than 50 dogs annually to the public—including over the Internet—to be licensed and inspected. The bill will also require all licensed breeders to exercise every dog daily.
The PUPS Act has been introduced in past Congressional sessions, but has always timed out. We’ve been given another chance at enacting this extremely important humane legislation, which would improve the lives of hundreds of thousands of dogs nationwide.
What You Can Do
It is vital that members of Congress hear that puppy mill reform is important to their constituents. Please visit the ASPCA Advocacy Center to email your U.S. representative in Washington, D.C., and urge him or her to support and cosponsor the PUPS Act.

·
Registered
31,838 Posts
I do not agree that the federal government should be concerning themselves with dog-legislation. The federal government was set up for our national defence, international trade, and currency. It has gotten so big that it cannot support itself, even by taxing people to death, and they keep threatening to shut it down. So, maybe the feds should stay within their bounds and leave the states to deal with legislation that is pertinent to each state.

This only addresses people who are willing to abide by the law. Most puppy mills, true puppy mills -- hundreds of dogs, hundreds to thousands of puppies produced and sold, are not abiding by current laws on the books. The laws are only enforced when enough complaints pile up that they finally act. The PUPS bill targets your small to medium sized breeders.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I do not agree that the federal government should be concerning themselves with dog-legislation. The federal government was set up for our national defence, international trade, and currency. ...... The PUPS bill targets your small to medium sized breeders.
:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I do not agree that the federal government should be concerning themselves with dog-legislation. The federal government was set up for our national defence, international trade, and currency. It has gotten so big that it cannot support itself, even by taxing people to death, and they keep threatening to shut it down. So, maybe the feds should stay within their bounds and leave the states to deal with legislation that is pertinent to each state.

This only addresses people who are willing to abide by the law. Most puppy mills, true puppy mills -- hundreds of dogs, hundreds to thousands of puppies produced and sold, are not abiding by current laws on the books. The laws are only enforced when enough complaints pile up that they finally act. The PUPS bill targets your small to medium sized breeders.
Libertarian eh?

Me too :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Considering there has been a concerted effort based off of certain "animal rights" groups and misinformed/corrupted government officials trying to crack down on MY hobby (exotic animal keeping) I cannot fathom why you guys would want the government overseeing your hobby as well.

Yes breeders like puppy mills are bad but when the government gets involved things get so much worse for everyone and its the responsible keepers like you and me that pay the price.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Considering there has been a concerted effort based off of certain "animal rights" groups and misinformed/corrupted government officials trying to crack down on MY hobby (exotic animal keeping) I cannot fathom why you guys would want the government overseeing your hobby as well.

Yes breeders like puppy mills are bad but when the government gets involved things get so much worse for everyone and its the responsible keepers like you and me that pay the price.
The gov't is ruining all of my hobbies... offshore fishing, target shooting, offroad dirtbike'ing, and sure to follow is schutzhund.

No matter.. I'll keep doing them all anyway. I dare them to try to stop me :D

What sort of exotic animals?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Right now its exotic reptiles and invertebrates. And these are frequently targeted by Ar groups because they lack the "cute factor" :( The sad thing is that people and other aspects of the pet hobby dont care about other aspects, for example most dog owners dont care about what goes on in the exotic animal hobby... But they should, same goes for exotic animal keepers, we need to be aware of the various restrictions that people are trying to place on certain breeds. In short the extremist AR groups are trying to deal with us piece by piece before there true colors are revealed. :( And have you seen what some of the various heads of these groups have said about our pet keeping hobbies? Its rather scary to say the least, right now its a tough time for those pet owners that break the mold and keep more exotic animals, and certain dog keepers too like the GSD ;) and other "exotic/dangerous" dog breeds.

Sorry for ranting LOL

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At this point the government can not even run itself but they are great at making laws. I agree this should be a state issue.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Not only should the federal government not be involved. I would not endorse a bill based on a paragraph email from the ASPCA.

My dog club, and the AKC, do a good job looking at bills and pointing out good and bad points.

Here are some of the bad points of the bill.

Definition of “high volume breeder” as someone with “an ownership interest in or custody of one or more breeding female dogs.”

Definition of “breeding female” as an intact female dog aged 4 months or older. Female dogs are not sufficiently mature at 4 months of age to be bred.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I received this email from the ASPCA, thought I would share.

Dear Animal Advocates,
There is a giant loophole in U.S. law concerning the federal oversight of large-scale commercial dog breeders (commonly known as puppy mills). Currently, breeders who sell to puppy brokers and pet stores have to be licensed by the USDA, while those who sell puppies directly to the public do not.
However, a new bill before the U.S. House of Representatives, the Puppy Uniform Protection and Safety (PUPS) Act, will bring all commercial dog breeders in the United States under federal oversight by requiring any breeder who sells or offers to sell more than 50 dogs annually to the public—including over the Internet—to be licensed and inspected. The bill will also require all licensed breeders to exercise every dog daily.
The PUPS Act has been introduced in past Congressional sessions, but has always timed out. We’ve been given another chance at enacting this extremely important humane legislation, which would improve the lives of hundreds of thousands of dogs nationwide.
What You Can Do
It is vital that members of Congress hear that puppy mill reform is important to their constituents. Please visit the ASPCA Advocacy Center to email your U.S. representative in Washington, D.C., and urge him or her to support and cosponsor the PUPS Act.
:(:(:( Hopefully this doesn't pass.

Breeding Better Dogs

·
Registered
4,099 Posts

Couldn't agree more, well said. If people had any idea how many things the Federal Government is supposed to oversee and inspect that didn't get taken care of, it would shock them. Plus, you can make all the laws you want, if no one enforces them, what good are they?
I think I will send a couple of e-mails to my reps, urging them NOT to support this legislation.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
If it's not this, then SOMETHING NEEDS to be done about puppy mills. I actually like the part that breeders need to become licensed and have their kennels or breeding areas checked. This may help to weed out not only puppy mills, but backyard breeders too.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
If it's not this, then SOMETHING NEEDS to be done about puppy mills. I actually like the part that breeders need to become licensed and have their kennels or breeding areas checked. This may help to weed out not only puppy mills, but backyard breeders too.
Commercial breeders already have to be licensed and are already overseen by the USDA. If you find that the enforcement of the issue isn't acceptable, what makes you think more laws will make it any better? I'm not sure I agree that "something needs to be done about puppy mills". No one can even agree what a "puppy mill" is exactly. And far too often, it's used as a slam against any breeder that one disagrees with. Attempting to outlaw "puppy mills" will, without a doubt harm all breeders.

You feel that all breeders should be licensed and open to searches without a warrant? What would you find to be acceptable "breeding areas"? Most breeders I know keep their dogs in the house and puppies are whelped in the home. That certainly will not meet any sort of legal requirement for how breeding dogs should be housed. When such laws have been proposed, they generally include specific requirements for types of kennels, types of flooring, drainage, etc for breeding stock and keeping breeding dogs/puppies in the house would not meet any of the requirements.

Anti-breeder legislation will get rid of private breeders long before it will get rid of "puppy mills. Commercial breeders are a business and as such, are more likely to be able to shell out money for regulation kennel buildings, whatever licensing fees are required, accept whatever inspections are required, etc. It will just become part of the cost of doing business for them. People who are breeding once a year (or every two or three years) will be the ones who can't meet the requirements, can't afford the licensing and be uncomfortable with AC officers being able to come and go from their home and property whenever they see fit.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
People who are breeding once a year or even every two or three years don't need to worry about meeting any requirements. This will only effect anyone who sells more than 50 puppies a year. It seems to me this bill is simply trying to close the loophole that allows commercial breeders (puppy mills) to sell over the internet without being licensed. They have to have the license to sell to pet shops. If, for any reason, they lose that license, they can still truck their happy little selves over to Ebay and start advertising without missing a beat.

I also don't see a problem with requiring them to exercise their dogs daily. Those dogs spend their lives in a kennel and never get out. Requiring them to let them out for an hour a day is not unreasonable. I agree it will be hard to enforce but it is a step in the right direction, IMO. This isn't going to affect most reputable, hobby breeders as they are not squeezing out high volume puppies each year.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Puppy mills will only die out when people quit supporting them by giving them money for the puppies they produce.
If people would do some research into what they're buying instead of clicking on the first google search, millers in diguise would find it harder to sell their wares.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The issue is not whether things need to change regarding the pet industry the issue is getting the federal government involved especially since they seem to damage more than they help, and with a failing economy two wars and the threats of attack I think the government has more important things to be doing then trying to regulate something like this. Not to mention its simply more money to be spent when our debt is already so high.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
We can always just borrow more from China...

1 - 20 of 72 Posts