German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any places to pick up the frozen bill jac that’s closer to n.o. Than Baton Rouge? I’ve used their website, no luck. Didn’t know if there’s somewhere else anyone knows of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,966 Posts
Chewy.com carries that brand and will ship it free

·
Registered
701 Posts
Check the Walmart website. They may have at a store near you.

·
Super Moderator
5,966 Posts
Amazon claimed to have it.When I checked of course it's discontinued.The brand pops up as being carried by several companies but nobody has frozen:(

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amazon claimed to have it.When I checked of course it's discontinued.The brand pops up as being carried by several companies but nobody has frozen:(

Yep..I emailed the company. Let’s see how responsive they are to their customers lol.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I've seen it in the Frozen Food aisle of some Albertsons in BR. If there are Albertsons in NOLA, I'd expect them to have it too.

Have you asked Jefferson Feed in NOLA to try to special order it for you? The Jefferson Feed in BR special orders various frozen dog food items for me regularly -- it takes about a week, but their distributor can get just about anything and add it to their weekly delivery.

That said, I'm curious about why you want this food in particular? Is it a training treat? Or the dog's diet? The reason I ask is that the second ingredient is "dried bakery product" -- which according to DogFoodAdvisor is "a mixture of bread, cookies, cake, crackers and other baking waste which have been artificially dried and ground into a coarse powder" that is "leftover salvaged from the processed food industry."

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/bil-jac-raw-frozen/

https://truthaboutpetfood.com/which-pet-food-ingredients-are-recycled-garbage/

Bakery product is probably not an ingredient you want as a foundation of the diet (i.e., in the second-place ingredient on the list, which means there's a lot of it).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've seen it in the Frozen Food aisle of some Albertsons in BR. If there are Albertsons in NOLA, I'd expect them to have it too.

Have you asked Jefferson Feed in NOLA to try to special order it for you? The Jefferson Feed in BR special orders various frozen dog food items for me regularly -- it takes about a week, but their distributor can get just about anything and add it to their weekly delivery.

That said, I'm curious about why you want this food in particular? Is it a training treat? Or the dog's diet? The reason I ask is that the second ingredient is "dried bakery product" -- which according to DogFoodAdvisor is "a mixture of bread, cookies, cake, crackers and other baking waste which have been artificially dried and ground into a coarse powder" that is "leftover salvaged from the processed food industry."

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/bil-jac-raw-frozen/

https://truthaboutpetfood.com/which-pet-food-ingredients-are-recycled-garbage/

Bakery product is probably not an ingredient you want as a foundation of the diet (i.e., in the second-place ingredient on the list, which means there's a lot of it).

I have not asked Jefferson feed, but I will definitely try to call them tomorrow and see if they can help me out. No Albertsons out this way. It will just be a training treat. It won’t replace my kibble. If you have a better recommendation of something that can be used, I’m all ears. I mean the chicken hot dogs I currently use prob aren’t the healthiest thing either for the dog. I’ve also tried the refrigerated treats from petsmart. They have a chicken one which my pups like but at $6 for a small bag, it’s not exactly economical.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Gotcha -- I totally understand Bil-Jac as a training treat. All dogs seem to gobble it up enthusiastically (probably because of the sugar in it...). For high-value treats, a big bag of it really goes a long way.

The Natural Balance dog food logs that look like salami are also pretty high value when cut up into cubes for training. It's a little greasy to handle in the treat pouch though. Petco/Petsmart often have them hanging on a round display rack.

I've mostly transitioned to freeze-dried liver, as it's probably the highest value treat of all for my dogs -- they LOVE dried beef liver (you can find it in tubs at Target, Petco, etc.). It's a little expensive, but my dogs seem really enthusiastic about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts