German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive noticed some big 8 or 9 month old pups will get away with mounting my female gsd for a few second she doesnt take them serious? sometimes the same pups will lay on their belly in front of her?

When pups mount adult dogs is it a sign of dominace also like when adult dogs do it or can it just be a playful thing?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Puppies do any and everything in the dog vernacular at some point in development. It's just part of learning to be social. Luckily, most adult dogs tend to give them a 'grace period' to be whacky little miscreants. IMO, it's a sign of them being puppies.

·
Registered
780 Posts
My Spirit has just started trying this with my older dog (Daisy, 12 years, golden retriever). So far Daisy hasn't bitten his head off but I suspect the time is near that she will. I immediately jump in myself and correct the behavior -- meaning I make it stop. Maybe that's why it hasn't come to that point yet with Daisy.

So this is normal development? Am I handling this right?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Grim has been mounting my Pug for nearly the entire time I've had him. He also tries to mount me :eek:, the dog bed, and nearly everything else he finds he'd like to, LOL! It should 'wean off'. I don't think at this age it has anything to do with gaining submission from the other dog (or person), although he holds his own quite well! My Pug seems to think nothing of it. I ignore it. When he does this to my Pug, it's only during a very short play intermission... then they're back to wrestling around again. If an older dog is going to take this badly, then I'd intervene before it gets out of hand. He does NOT try this with our older mutt, but she's forever 'warning' him to leave her alone...which he listens to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts